Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Mudguards for commuting CX bike…
  • vincienup
    Free Member

Not really a ‘what…’ thread, as unless there’s a seriously better idea out there I’m pretty settled on SKS chromoplastics.

Currently rocking a bender fender on the back of me saddle which is working better than expected (it’s been there since about September…) but looking for pleasanter experiences around 7am.

So, the question: how much wider than the tyre width do I want? Currently I’m running 32’s but u could well go up to 35 ish at some point as wired Razes seem to have vanished 🙁

Is 35 tyre with 35 guard sane or insane? I’m thinking 45’s are a bit mentally large?

cynic-al
    Free Member

You won’t fit a 35mm tyre in a SKS P35 (my 28s struggle with clearance) – 45 or 50 is what you need.

I guess you’ve never seen a pair, given you think they are “mentally large”, but they fit.

dvatcmark
    Free Member

I use a 35 tyre on my commuting cross bike, but with SKS longboards

Daffy

I had this exact dilemma in September of last year. I run 38s on the commuter and debated on 45 or 50 size guards. In the end I went with 45s, but they’re a VERY close fit. 32s should be fine, but 35+ and I’d go for the 50s if I were buying again.

vincienup
    Free Member

Cheers- 45’s it probably will be, then.

I know what the chromoplasts look like and I’ve seem them on bikes but never with a helpful sticker telling me what size I’m looking at. 45 sounded like it was heading for mountain bike territory, is all…

somafunk

I dunno if you can see in the pic below but this a set of 45’s with Clement X’Plor MSO 35mm tyres and there is very little clearance for mud or grit on the treads – if i was buying again i’d actually go for the 50mm to give me that bit extra mud clearance. For road use they are fine but for muddy paths or occasional trips off road they do tend to grind a bit with mud build up.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Mudguards for commuting CX bike…’ is closed to new replies.