Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Mudguards: anyone using Mudhugger or Mudguardz?
  • cinnamon_girl

Interested in user experiences with the front mudguard being so close to the tyre.

Thanks. 🙂

mintimperial

I’ve run mudhuggers front and rear for ages now, no problems at all even with pretty big (2.3-2.4″) tyres (apart from me being clumsy putting the bike in the car and squashing one, but it bent back just fine). Good solid guards.

CheesybeanZ

MrsbeanZ has the mudhugger FR which fitts very close on her T130 , works very well and compared too a Muckynutz it’s far better made .

Jaz1979
    Free Member

using a mudhugger on both my bikes, and think they are great – working really well

scaled
    Free Member

Mudhugger on BOS Deville 170s here, brilliant thing, keeps 90% of the mud off my face.

35mm rim with 2.35 tyres

cinnamon_girl

Thanks all, most helpful. 8)

poah
    Free Member

mudhugger on a pike. used maxxis HR2 2.4 and XR4 2.35 and have had no issues with the tyre being close to the guard. you get a stone or lump of mud caught every so often but its not an issue

beano68
    Free Member

Got mudhuggers F&R on my Spesh Enduro 29er and they fit and work brilliantly … plenty of clearance and no hassle

nibby
    Free Member

Same as above front and rear.

Rear looks s*** but keeps you dry, bike looks a bit like my old gasgas 🙂

great bits of kit. I will probably take the rear off when it starts drying out a bit but will also probably keep the front on all year.

cinnamon_girl

They’re fugly but if the Mudguardz offered a rear as well then that would probably have swayed it for me shallow woman.

andysredmini
    Free Member

I have mudhuggers on my chameleon and have mixed thoughts on them. They do work well as mudguards but they are not without fault.
    The front one may not fit on all fork wheel combinations. I run a 26″ wheel in a 650b fork and clearance is still tight. On large jumps and drops I still get some rubbing. The front also isn’t quite long enough and I still get a bit of mud heading in the direction of my face. They do an extension piece for this reason but I haven’t bought one.
    The rear looks awful. Works well though but my main problem is that on my chameleon it dumps all the mud and water onto my rear brake and cassette/mech. This makes riding noisy at best. It wont be doing the drivetrain any good either.
    I have a friend who has the same bike and he took his mud huggers off. He Couldn’t stand the rubbing from the front guard on big landings and the grinding gears and squealing brakes caused by the rear guard.

After a ride I have a cleaner back but he has a cleaner drivetrain.

beano68
    Free Member

Yup definitely ugly as’ but does the job

cinnamon_girl

Yeah but they’re not so bad on black. My non-black steed will be displeased.

paulx
    Free Member

New Mud Hugger and Crud catcher combo on the Rumble.

Kept most of the Delamere Mud off me on Sunday.

I’ve got the little extender flap on the front – without I reckon it would spray at ya a bit.

andysredmini
    Free Member

Here they are on my chameleon.
    The rear one offends me looking at my own bike.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/pozT95]Untitled[/url] by
    andysredmini, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/pozT1j]Untitled[/url] by andysredmini, on Flickr

ThePilot
    Free Member

I’ve been pretty unimpressed with mine.
    Was a pain in the eyes to fit thanks to the cable bosses and despite its size, doesn’t seem to keep me much drier or cleaner.
    It also rubs the back wheel occasionally.
    The design of the frame also means there is a fairly large gap where all the water and mud gets through and i was told that I would benefit from getting an extender guard to bridge that gap. But haven’t spent near to £30 on a mudguard, frankly I’m not inclined to spend any more!

postierich
    Free Member

Lots of the guys in my biking chapter use Mud Huggers here is mine
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/qu3pYW]10930873_10153059190831474_8698445552328329157_n[/url] by Richard Munro, on Flickr

highlandman
    Free Member

Anyone tried the 29er on the back of an O-O Fatty?

rOcKeTdOg

Anyone tried the 29er on the back of an O-O Fatty?

yes, works really well, needs a bit of moulding with a hairdryer if you’re running really wide tyres, after that fit and forget

dovebiker

I have the 29er on the back of my 5″ fatty – need to get the hot air gun to ease it into shape – better than most but not wide enough for tyres wider than 4″ – still get a good splattering. Apparently they’re working on a new fatbike version

rOcKeTdOg

Fat front due anyway, I have prototype wider rear on my fatty now

singlespeedstu

I’ve got a mudhugger and a couple of rockguardz. (short and medium)
    Both the rockguardz fit with more clearance and the medium one gives much better protection from flying cack.
    The mudhugger is unusable on a 29er Pike and 2.5 Minion combo.

iain1775
    Free Member

Yep love the front one, although did have it completely block in thick mud last winter (it was bad though)
    Fox fork with 2.35 Mgic Mary, still enough clearance

lightman
    Free Member

Im after a 29er rear Mudhugger, so if anyone not wanting theirs any more, then I’ll have it 🙂

myopic
    Free Member

Anyone running a Mudhugger on a frame with brake cable running down the seat stay? Interested in one as I’m sick of getting soaked, but the brake cable runs all the way down the upper surface of the NDS seat stay, plus there are 3 bosses for C clips

Alex

Yep. On my Aeris (the MH guys run Aeris as well so they know the issue). I cut two slots in mine with a very sharp knife and it’s been fine. Obviously measure twice, cut once.

I rate the MH for front and rear. Use the ‘enduro’ one which is longer by default on the front and works well. Rear on my chubby Stache took a bit of hear to bend it out to the wide stays but once on – perfect.

Same as above – can’t run one on the front of the chubby. Not enough clearance on the Manitou fork AND it;’s reverse arch. Use an old crud guard and a RRP thing which works but cakes the stantions with mud.

Fat bike, I modded bits of plastic and old guards 😉

Alex

A picture paints…

Chubby
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/Dki6ep]More mud, more climbing, still no beer[/url] by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

Aeris
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/BUwjT3]First ride of 2016 – Muddy Malverns[/url] by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

Fat
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/C4AoUr]FoDing Muddy[/url] by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

Dune actually has the muckynutz fat guard on the front. Really needs a crud catcher as well. Rear is a combo of an old front muckynutz glued to something else. Works great!

zippykona

The mucky nutz fat front isn’t long enough out the front.
    I’ve fashioned a rear crud guard onto mine and it works better.

medoramas
    Free Member

I can’t imagine winter riding without them on my bike now. I had to modify the front one slightly to fit onto Manitou forks (reversed arch) (“stanley knife action” to copy the top slots and a bit of sticky tape to cover the old ones).

I also have a Crud Catcher on the downtube.

Really good stuff. Ugly, but works great.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Mudguards: anyone using Mudhugger or Mudguardz?’ is closed to new replies.