Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Mudguard stay / tyre clearance
  • UrbanHiker
    Free Member

Is there a recommended clearance between the outer edges of the tyre and the mudguard stays?

I’ve had a set fitted and although there is some clearance, <5mm, they rub on the tyre outer knobs when there is any lateral movement, ie going round a corner.

Mudguards too narrow? Not fitted correctly?

trail_rat
    Free Member

just bend the mudguard stays out a bit – id be more concerned that there is that much latteral movement in your frame/wheel … check cones are tight and there is good spoke tension.

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

I think the movement is the mudguard “swaying” from left to right rather than from the fork/wheel.

I though of bending, but its the very end of the stays (where they mount the guard) where its rubbing. Bending would only effect the middle portion.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    trail_rat
    Free Member

what mudguards – what width and what size tire ?

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

Measuring the outer edge of the mudguards is 50mm, they are SKS chromoplastic ones. Tyres are 29×2.1 small block 8’s.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

54mm tyre in a 50mm ‘guard? No real wonder is it …

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

OK, so it is an inappropriate guard for the tyre?

I’m after confirmation because both were speced and fitted by my fave LBS, I don’t want to go in and moan till I have a firm grip on the facts.

trail_rat
    Free Member

you might gain something by sliding them further from the tire and thus letting the stays away from the tire.

druidh
    Free Member

SKS recommend the P65 for that tyre width.

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

Yep, cheers guys. Your all confirming my suspicions that they are just not compatible. 🙁

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Mudguard stay / tyre clearance’ is closed to new replies.