Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Mud when frozen solid: pluses and minuses
  • couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Just back from a nice trip round the Pentlands and higher up the mud is pretty much frozen solid. It was starting to snow on my way back too: very festive.

The pluses of frozen mud – it gives pretty impressive grip, I got to ride bits that have been impossible with mud recently and the bike is clean after a ride (for the first time in ages).

The downside is that it hurts when you fall on it. Strangely I fell when walking – I'd chickened out of a section of sheet ice on a slope.

kimbers

aston dh track rdes much better in icy conditions than wet!

GhostRider
    Free Member

I got caught in some frozen mud tractor ruts earlier this year, went down side ways, drive side down, dinged a rib, bend the mech hanger and gubbed a few spokes on the back wheel.

Dair
    Free Member

Do studded winter tyres give grip on ice? If so, what is the down side?

robgarrioch

chickened out of a section of sheet ice on a slope

Dunno Ronan, sounds sensible enough to me…
    Grip's not bad, but there's less 'give' too, eg. tyre possibly skipping off where it would otherwise dig in (a scar on my left elbow testifies to that!) Plus you can be content there's less ground-damage caused, & tackle sections you've stayed off for ages (eg. not been down black hill since the group ride)
    +1 for a clean(er) bike too 🙂

elliptic
    Free Member

Frozen puddles!

tinckly-tinckly-smash 🙂

nedrapier

Dair – rocky bits?

fbk
    Free Member

Icy mud is almost as good as bone dry for riding on – had some fantastic rides in the peaks early this year riding over what are normally peat bogs with ease. I love the crisp cool air too – no over heating 🙂

You're right though – is certainly hurts when you do come off – solid, spiky and freezing cold. Plus you tend not to get any warning or chance to save it either 😕

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

How's this for a frozen puddle. It went on about 200m and to keep it interesting its on a slope.

Sorry for rubbish phone photo.

Sam

Do studded winter tyres give grip on ice? If so, what is the down side?

They grip incredibly well on ice, but they are very heavy and roll about as quickly as sfb takes a hint.

Blower
    Free Member

icy at lee quarry today,ahhh back to winter…
    love it when all the trails are frozen solid,fast as…

grahamt1980

Kimbers
    If it gets properly snowy this or next year we are going to aston, I want to play in the snow there

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Mud when frozen solid: pluses and minuses’ is closed to new replies.