Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Mud tyres, what size on what end of the bike
  • m1kea
    Free Member

Curious on what folk do with mud tyres.

I was toying with fitting some on a pair of wheels soon, probably Pana Trailrakers or Bonty MudX.

I’d put the skinnier tyre on the front (1.8″) and the wider one (2″) on the rear to offset the weight.

Does that make sense or is there an argument to put the skinnier tyre on the rear so that it digs in and grips quicker?

Ta

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’d put the same size on both ends, but go thinner the muddier it became.

I’ve been using 2.0in Mud X for years, they’re actually a great all-year tyre IMO.

Trailrakers are for ‘very deep clag use only’ I think. 🙂

But if I had a 1.8 and a 2.0, I’d put the thinner on the rear. More mud clearence through the stays and more shock absorbment on the front, see?
    Weight has nowt to do with it. Just pump the thinner one up a bit harder 🙂

RealMan
    Free Member

Trailrakers are for ‘very deep clag use only’ I think.

My Dad used them in the Alps in August once. He knows nothing about tyres. He didn’t die though.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Well yes, you CAN do that, but I wouldn’t. Would you? 😉

PJM1974
    Free Member

You can still steer a bike when the rear wheel has no grip, but having rear wheel traction and no steering grip at all is about as much use as a handbrake on the Hindenberg, not to mention very bad for the undercrackers.

For that reason, I’d always put the larger/grippier tyre up front where you need the steering to grip.

m1kea
    Free Member

Ahh so a pair of 1.8 Mud X’s would cater for all options then?

I’ve got three pairs of wheels I can use so wheel swaps are easy to do.

I’ve probably done 1000 miles of South Downs routes without a puncture in the past 2 years on Razors so have built up a little affinity for Panaracer tyres.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Maybe take a look at the Specialized Storm range?

Right now, tyres cost an absolute fortune and Spesh tyres for under £27 are a godsend.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Mud tyres, what size on what end of the bike’ is closed to new replies.