Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Mud Tyres used as Snow Tyres?
  • 888trojan888
    Free Member

Im too tight to fork out for a pair of flash snow tyres. I have a pair of mud tyres with a very spiky tread……will this do the same job?

I live in the pennines and its only a matter of time before the snow arrives.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

they’ll be fine in the snow if they’re not too narrow, but no good on sheet ice.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Spikes only work on ice. Mud tyres work OK on certain types of snow, as they tend to be narrow, the deeper the snow is, the harder work it gets, but they’re pretty good on slush and crispy stuff. On deep snow, only 4″+ fat bike stuff works really.

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

yep as long as its not ice, then mud tyres run at low pressure will work pretty well (as long as they are decent mud tyres!)

888trojan888
    Free Member

Cheers chaps 🙂

druidh
    Free Member

Depends on the snow.

user-removed
    Free Member

Hmmm. Are (eight year old) Panaracer Spikes likely to be worth a shot? Bought them ages ago, tried them once and they’ve been hanging in the garage ever since!

ir_bandito
    Free Member

can’t hurt to try…

user-removed
    Free Member

ir_bandito – Member
    can’t hurt to try…

Yes it can! I fell off several times the last time they were fitted, but mostly into mud and rocks as it wasn’t snowing 🙂

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Ha!
    Ok, don all the body armour you have, and then go and try. Snow is soft (its the rocks and ice underneath that aren’t…)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Mud Tyres used as Snow Tyres?’ is closed to new replies.