Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Mud Tyres – Maxxis Medusa UST VS Bonty Mud X TLR
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

come on then lets have it………

mud is clearly upon’st

time for a change from summer tyres to winter ones now…..

these are the two ive narrowed it down to :

plus sides of Bontys = Light, pretty fast rolling, good general all round grip in mud

down sides of bontys = fragile sidewall, pain to get on and off, tubeless ready means more faff initial setup, not sure id dare run them too low pressure wise

maxxis plus sides = good grip, piece of piss to get on with track pump, sidewalls are stronger

down sides = slower on the road, dearer at 40quid each…..

anything more to add? i dont have a great deal of knowledge of the medusas but have used the mud x before and liked them, though the above issues running tubeless were a slight inconvenience

rocketman
    Free Member

Medusas are light & skinny, very good in genuine squelchy mud and not too shabby on damp-ish hardpack but they are proppa lethal on wet roots and rocks.

If you are riding in frequent, intense mud they are a good choice but otherwise I would go Minion/HR.

DT78
    Free Member

I use a 2.0 mud x on the front and a 1.8 medusa on the rear of my winter bike, does well for me – the medusa doesn’t drag that much when around 35-40psi (I ride to work via road home via trails)

EDIT – my riding is mainly muddy woods no stone

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    brassneck

I found Bonty’s easy enough to inflate with a track pump tubeless.

Stick tubes in them if it’s a problem?

I have one Medusa 2.0, but I haven’t used it since getting the pair of Bontys

ratherbeintobago

Medusas are light & skinny, very good in genuine squelchy mud and not too shabby on damp-ish hardpack but they are proppa lethal on wet roots and rocks.

As opposed to the Bontys, which are also lethal on wet rock?

TBH I’m not sure a mud tyre that isn’t horrible on wet rock exists; I am sure the Fire XCs I had last year were nowhere near as bad, but the payoff is that they clog more easily.

Andy

Klunk
    Free Member

don’t like the Medusas very draggy and hard work and i find the side knobs are snatchy when riding in ruts alway trying to pull the wheel up the wall of the rut.

chunkypaul
    Free Member

preferred the medusas myself, and even the acx over the mud x

Gotama
    Free Member

Have you looked at a Conti Baron in blackchilli as another option. Just fitted one to replace a high roller and it grips very well( better than high roller), rolls well and clears well. Can’t really fault it so far apart from the £50 price tag.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Mud Tyres – Maxxis Medusa UST VS Bonty Mud X TLR’ is closed to new replies.