Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Mud, mud, glorious mud recommended me some tyres to stop boiling my blood.
  • v9gss

Horrendous sticky mud everywhere round here at the moment,stop every 100 yards and spend 10 minutes scraping it off horrendous

Will any tyres cope with this?

Or any recomendations.

allthepies
    Free Member

Ride on the road or suck it up 🙂

zippykona

Never had any problems using Bonty Muds.

iffoverload
    Free Member

Onza Ibex are working for me in the sticky stuff, dog eggs are another matter entirely 😐

v9gss

I got about 12 miles sucking it up. It then got even thicker. Then started snowing.

At this point I broke

monkeychild
    Free Member

What size wheel? I have mud sharks (26″) that worked an absolute treat. I happen to want to sell them 😀

deviant
    Free Member

I have been using a combination of these four this winter.

Schwalbe Dirty Dan
    Specialized Hillbilly
    Geax Datura
    Schwalbe Magic Mary

None of them can be described as light weight trail tyres, the Dirty Dan and Hillbilly are dual ply DH versions too!…but they’ve been great.

I have only just put the Magic Mary on the front as it has a fairly conventional tread pattern and i’m not sure it would’ve coped with the worst of it a few weeks back…the other three are classic mud tyre tread patterns…typical motocross style with large gaps between the spikes/blocks which allow the mud to be flung of the tyre fairly easily.

The spike/block depth varies with the Dirty Dan being the most aggressive and it can get squirmy over hard packed terrain giving a floating feeling as it sits up on the spikes…not great, i took it to BPW like that in January but took it off after the first run and put a Minion on the front instead.

I tended to use the Datura and Hillbilly on the back, they dug in and kept the bike going forward through the worst of it and cleared well too, they have more shallow spikes/blocks and could’ve doubled up as a front option if i’d had two of any of them!

PSA:

Geax Daturas are available at On-One at the moment for £10….frankly ridiculous for such a good tyre, folding and tacky compound too…26 inch only though i’m afraid!…i ordered again today to stock up for the HT and next winter already.

v9gss

v9gss

njee20
    Free Member

Mud like that you want the narrowest thing possible. 1.5″ Black Sharks if you’re on 26″ wheels, cyclocross tyres if you’re a 29er.

A Mud X, Dirty Dan, Beaver etc etc are all decent winter tyres, but they’ll all still clog.

v9gss

v9gss

The mud guard was slightly out of its depth

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

My bonty muds on my singlespeed through a clay field , last Sunday, meant I had wait 20 mins for the other guys to try and get gears and their wheels to go round, as totally jammed. So, they work a treat for me too.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Bounty Mud X are very good in clay slop, I used them last winter and wished I still had them….carcasses are a bit thin but I’d cope 😆

chrischim
    Free Member

I quite like my Mud Xs as well but they did exactly the same thing in Hertfordshire mud the other week. I have this vague hope it is a sign the mud is drying out which is why it is so sticky.

njee20
    Free Member

Mud Xs are just too wide, you just need bags of clearance when it’s that bad.

rickmeister

Nates cope with pretty much anything mud wise ..

zippykona

I did this for a winter and it was good. (This was pre discovering Bonty muds)
    29 wheels and cyclo cross tyres.

eulach

The last 2 winters I ran 2.2 or 2.1 Medusas F & R. They worked brilliantly. They are very skinny.
    This year I put a Datura on the front. Next year I shall put a Datura on the back as well.

v9gss

Anyone use specialized storms? Came up as an alternative on Je James?

I’ve always found them the easiest brand to get up Tubeless.

v9gss

I think I’d be slightly nervy on a cyclo cross tyre. I probably should mention I’m quite ‘big boned’ and am pretty sure I’d end up denting rims

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Move. You obviously live in a shit area for mountain biking. It’s the only solution!.

v9gss

North York Moors.

v9gss

Only shit for a third of the year

transporter13
    Free Member

Conti barons….never had a problem with them.

rickmeister

Zippy,

Have you invented the full suss 29’r ?

zippykona

Zippy,

Have you invented the full suss 29’r ?
    Mountain Cross…the latest niche.

mcnultycop

Two inch beavers are superb.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Plus one for small beavers

v9gss

Ha.

rickmeister

That’s interesting as those Marin frames can be had for buttons…

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Mud, mud, glorious mud recommended me some tyres to stop boiling my blood.’ is closed to new replies.