Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Mud guards on FS
  • paulneenan76
    Free Member

Not particularly bothered but when condition are utterly awful the missus prefers a less muddy arse and back and I appreciate my glasses remaining cleaner. Have much nutz jobs on the hardtail but wondered should I look elsewhere and particularly with the FS. I’d like to keep crap out my face, off my arse and back and away from shock and dropper – heard good things about the mudhugger’s; worth considering ?

welshfarmer

Mudhuggers work very well on the back, hard tail or FS. The MH fronts work OK but I think there are perhaps better options out there.

Northwind

For the front, I’ve still found nothing better than the shockboard- the mountain hardware is pish so mine are all cabletied but it’s a damn good mudguard. The big advantage over the mudhugger being that it can’t clog up, unless you get a baby stuck in it or something.

For the rear, never found anything I really like, so watching this thread too 🙂

rOcKeTdOg

Mudhuggers front & rear. The ability to see and A dry arse at the end of a ride cannot be under estimated

zippykona

This is the one time of the year when all of STW stand back and agree on something. It’s not normally nice .
    Here’s my winter off road commuter.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I use mucky nutz in the summer on the front and mud hugger both ends in the winter. The mud hugger can be customised with a heat gun and hand tools so will fit pretty much anything.

chiefgrooveguru

For the front, I’ve still found nothing better than the shockboard- the mountain hardware is pish so mine are all cabletied but it’s a damn good mudguard. The big advantage over the mudhugger being that it can’t clog up, unless you get a baby stuck in it or something.

On one ride last winter I managed to fill the whole space between tyre and shockboard with a substantial ball of mud. Admittedly by that point neither wheel would turn and the drivetrain was lost yet more under layers of mud – not sure MTB carrying will catch on as a hobby…

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Mucky nutz front and rear – not the butt fender, the rear one. I keep looking at mud hugger, then see the price for a bit of cut plastic……

milky1980
    Free Member

MudHugger F&R on both bikes here, they just work so well. They may be ‘expensive’ for a bit of plastic but they’re the only rear mudguard that works with dropper posts and can survive a beating on an uplift day. Oh and it fits my 5 perfectly. The fronts are bombproof too.

Fit and forget solution for me.

canopy
    Free Member

fs here.. also mucky nutz front and rear.. helps a bit.. got pretty muddy at the w/e, but didn’t really notice it. fine for casual spray etc.. i’m happy with em, and they’re cheap.

Trailseeker
    Free Member

I can’t recommend a Mudhugger – on slow wet climbs I was getting a wet back mudhugger needs to be about 20mm longer on the 26″ wheel version.
    But about a week after discovering this, a small branch jammed between the guard & tyre & broke the cable ties – I ended up with on of these:
    Works better with more clearance & half the price

paulneenan76
    Free Member

Is the RRP version of the Mucky Nutz exactly the same or different dimensions?

wzzzz
    Free Member

Mudhuggers with extenders here. I hate having a wet arse.

keithb

does no-one use a Crud Guard anymore?

wzzzz
    Free Member

I ditched mine for a mudhugger, much better for an FS bike.

davewalsh
    Free Member

26″ Mudhugger with extention on the back of my spitfire and now on my Solaris. Expensive but works very well, even with plus size tyres.

a small branch jammed between the guard & tyre & broke the cable ties

That’s the idea. Cable ties cost a few pence to replace and saves damaging the more expensive bits.

tomaso
    Free Member

I found the rear mudhugger good at keeping the mud off. However it did break a couple of times and the helitape needs replacing every so often or it eats your frame. Three other mates have also given up with them too.
    Crudcatcher doesn’t seem so bad now….

tallie
    Free Member

Trailseeker – Member
    I can’t recommend a Mudhugger – on slow wet climbs I was getting a wet back mudhugger needs to be about 20mm longer on the 26″ wheel version.
    But about a week after discovering this, a small branch jammed between the guard & tyre & broke the cable ties – I ended up with on of these:

I’ve got both and whilst they’re both relatively effective the MH is better IME – the zefal doesn’t really work for tyres wider that 2.2 / 2.3 (dependent on brand) whilst the MH works for every width. I have broken the MH cable ties in a crash but it was big enough that I had other concerns at the time and it’s easy enough to carry a few spare cable ties…

So, in summary for me the MH is the better buy.

unsponsored
    Free Member

I have a defender guard on the front of bike after years of using mucky nuts. It isn’t the prettiest of things but for function its superb. I stay dry even on the wettest of rides. It can also be removed from the bike really quickly with no special tools, no need for zip ties either.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Mud guards on FS’ is closed to new replies.