• This topic has 47 replies, 27 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by iainc.
Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • Mud fest strewn clothing – best way of cleaning? (not waterproofing)
  • medoramas
    Free Member

It reminds me of my last muddy night ride on Sunday – I had full set of mudguards, my friend had none. All I had to do after the ride was to rinse the overshoes, which then I put to the washing machine along with my knee length socks for a quick wash. The shorts and the rest of the gear was perfectly fine for next morning commute (on extremely dirty bike, which I washed at workplace after arrival).

Seeing him after we finished the ride… Oh man… 😆

molgrips
    Free Member

using normal washing powder to clean your technical gear will ruin the breath ability of the man made fibres,

No it won’t.

It won’t be good for breathable membranes, but it’s fine for normal insulation and base layers.

muddy9mtb

this weekend was really mucky 😯 was covered in s… within 5 minutes of offroad riding. even with mudguards. the others didn’t have any mg and were head to toe in in the stuff. just how it goes AF

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    digga
    Free Member

nickc – Member
    be careful about not rinsing your goretex stuff. It’s heat* that rejuvenates the DWR coating, and rinsing is in fact specified as one of the things you should be very careful to make sure you do.

*tumble dry is best, but hair-drier, or radiator work just as wellI’ve been advised exactly the same, by someone who worked at a well known and reputed outdoor gear shop. He also said that, with care, an iron on a low heat would work too, although I’d not really want to try that, not least because of the risk of getting the iron gunged up.

muddy9mtb

then carry on using the stuff. I’ll use the others recommended. such is life

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Gore Tex jacket gets hosed down if really bad, but not washed. Otherwise just leave it to dry. Wash when it gets too stinky (not when muddy)

I just use normal bio washing powder, my favourate Gore Tex riding jacket is now 15 years old and only now are is it looking a bit worse for wear from the above.

muddy9mtb

I’ve been advised exactly the same, by someone who worked at a well known and reputed outdoor gear shop. He also said that, with care, an iron on a low heat would work too, although I’d not really want to try that, not least because of the risk of getting the iron gunged up.

only going by what’s on the packet 😆 http://www.nikwax.co.uk/en-us/products/productdetail.php?productid=267&itemid=-1&fabricid=-1

iainc

Bucket or hose to get worst mud off, then a 30 deg wash with half a non bio tablet, bung all the kit in, stealth, waterproof shorts etc. Not seen any real change in performance and at least starts non smelly each ride 😆

I don’t think that a little soap and some 30 deg water should ruin outdoor kit

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Mud fest strewn clothing – best way of cleaning? (not waterproofing)’ is closed to new replies.