Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Mud depression
  • damovdv
    Free Member

Hi,

So I have been living in London for the last 3 years and have been riding mainly in Epping forest. Its not too bad to ride in the summer when it’s dry however I am really over the mud there! It’s not great riding in my option especially as I use to live in Nz where I rode wood hill in auckland which is fast purpose built tracks with lots of structures to meet every level and tracks that are sand based so when it rains it he tracks actually get better because they become more compact and hard.

So I have recently bought a car and can now venture out further rather than taking the train. I live in Whitechapel but can basically go anywhere. So with that in mind would love some insight into where to go within a hours drive ? Somewhere where the mud is minimal please ….. Sick of it! I want my love of mountain biking back.

Cheers

Damien

ronjeremy
    Free Member

an hours driving you say, may I suggest the nearest airport……

shortcut

Try Swinley – some brand new purpose built trails around 13 miles worth so worthy if a spin.

Or how about the Surrey Hills so riding probably from Peaslake or Westcott – lots of good trails there but needing some local knowledge. Try Pedal and Spoke in Peaslake or Nirvana Cycles who do a ride at 11 on Sunday morning – trails can be exciting and are running well at the moment.

kimbers

swinley sounds like what you want

although its <3 hours to cwmcarn if you want some mountains

RoterStern
    Free Member

Second Surrey Hills as a destination. There is also Aston Hill in the north west of London.

smiff
    Free Member

hmm is Nirvana 11 on sunday now? used to be 10 on sat i think.

i’ve had a load of damn dusty rides last week and haven’t been abroad or anything (towards Wales (Cwmcarn and Forest of Dean) and SE), maybe just got lucky.. surely going to rain again next week :/

yeah done some riding near Auckland (Whitford Forest?) and would miss it, mainly for the warmth..

damovdv
    Free Member

Ok Ron thanks big help. Lol maybe I can drive further than an hour…. 😉

Cheers shortcut for the info might try swinley tomorrow looks good.

damovdv
    Free Member

Yeah I have riden whitford it’s not bad has a nice slalom run. Woodhills better though. I did ride snowdonia in wales last year was the closest I have experience to Nz riding in the uk.

I ended up taking up kitesurfing because of my hatred of eppings mud! But still need my Mtb hit on the no wind days. Thanks chaps for the pointers.

johnhighfield
    Free Member

Hi Davovdv
    If you ever want to swap Essex mud for Hertfordshire mud – give us a shout! We ride out from Hitchin every Sunday morning @ 8.30 am for 2-3 hr play around the local tracks – mud or no mud! We are within an hour from you (30 mins by train from Kings Cross). We post up on the Bikeradar website – MTB rides under ‘Hitchin Sunday rides’.

Nearer (from Harpenden) the OTT MTB ride out @ about 9.30 on Sundays & do mid-week rides. Check out their website – through google. This Sunday should be very dry -as it hasn’t rained all week – but COLD. But that’s another story ….

mtbfix

+1 for the new stuff at Swinley. It has reinvigorated my desire to ride as there is only one moment of gop and the rest is fast and dry.

jameso

Get the train out to Tring from Euston. Chilterns are pretty dry at the moment, Aston Hill etc all in a loops-worth of riding from there. PM me if you need some directions etc or want to tag along.

damovdv
    Free Member

Rode swinley today. Was very dry and fast, love the burms!. Did the blue run 3 times then then red run which is no where near as hard as the signs make out! They imply you have to be an expert rider. ….. What eves! ( ok I am no expert but I have been riding for about 10 years so know how to handle myself on the bike).

All in all I am impressed with swinley it gave me back today a bit of the mountain biking I use to know. Will be going there again!

weeksy

Same as Davo,but yesterday

eyerideit
    Free Member

A lot of people who ride in Epping have been escaping the cr4p by going to Wooburn.

damovdv
    Free Member

From what I have read Woodburn is much the same as Epping during winter/rain MUDDY cr4p! Sorry have a real hang up about riding in mud its just not fun, no matter how many times I am told by the locals in Epping “oh that was a good ride” ……. am sorry it was sh1t you just dont know any different!. Its ok to deal with the odd bit of mud here and there but when the vast majority of the tracks a a slushy mess its rubbish.

Totally going to bring my mate who I ride with in Epping (who has only ridden epping and dorking) to Swinley I can tell you it will blow his mind! lol

tonyg2003

I rode the Surrey Hills yesterday (around box hill) and you would be doing well to find just about any mud. No cleaning of the bike when I got back in! Yah! Train from Waterloo to Leatherhead/Dorking.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Mud depression’ is closed to new replies.