• This topic has 23 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by tomd.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Mud
  • cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Went out for a night ride round my way last night, I came back pretty pissed off and ready to jack winter MTB’ing in and buy a cheap road bike to stay fit until the summer returns.

The mud and filth was extreme, I was having to stop and scrape mud off my wheels and chainstays just so that they would turn. Horses have FU’d every bit of nice singletrack in my local area, and it just wasn’t fun.

Now, I love crisp winter days when it’s a bit frozen, and when there’s snow around, but this current state of gloop is shite.

Mini rant over.

alfabus
    Free Member

mtfu?

I like mud 🙂

wilko1999
    Free Member

I used to dread the end of summer conditions. Then I started to embrace it, and now I think I like winter riding as much as summer. You’ve just got to adjust your expectations of a ride. Finding some good winter tyres that gave me confidence and never clog the frame helped!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    fasthaggis

Matthew McConaughey was good in MUD

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

alfabus – Member

mtfu?

I like mud

Really? What exactly do you like about it??

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

There is no MUD in my father’s kingdom…

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

surroundedbyhills – Member

There is no MUD in my father’s kingdom…

Great, I’m off there for a ride then.

alfabus
    Free Member

What exactly do you like about it??

The slip and grip in different amounts and different places. Drifting. Splashing. Quieter trails. Y’know… Mountain biking 🙂

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Get some mud tyres, and earn your summer.
    We’ve been lucky this year, trails stayed dry and fast until well into October. Previous 2 years, it was dry at Easter, but crap the rest of the year.
    I assume you’re in the UK, in which case suck it up. Put up with it and learn to love the lack of traction, or stick to trail centres or move abroad.

Its not like wet weather in GB is a new thing…

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

Mud was quite a good film. Preferred a place in the pines.

oh, real mud? aye its funny at first and then can become a chore, take a break from it, have a nice cuppa tea a few days rest and then go play again in our green and pleasant muddy loam.

fasthaggis

The slip and grip in different amounts and different places. Drifting. Splashing. Quieter trails.

Eggsact2ly ,why wouldn’t ya 🙂

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Its not like wet weather in GB is a new thing…

Yeah, I’m used to it, I’ve ridden all year round for years, it was just a crap ride last night, no flow, no fun, not even the occasional nice bit to remind you why you do it, just gloop and more gloop.

It’s probably a knee jerk reaction, I’ll probably go somewhere else tomorrow night and no doubt have a great ride.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2sMuVPMkkk[/video]

andyt1054
    Free Member

I often feel like that, again I usually think sod it and head out on the road bike. However recently I went on the new road bike on a favourite rural ride to find the local farmer had dropped mud all over the road most of the way round the route. My road bike looked worse than my mtb when I got back!

As above, probably best to accept it and keep the muc off close to hand!! 🙄

zippykona

If mud clearance is a real issue buy some Schwalbe cx pro tyres. They are 26″cyclo cross tyres and are ace.
    We all get excited by snow and can’t wait to ride in it. Really its pretty unrideable(cue fat biker) give me mud anyday.
    So get good mud tyres the ugliest mudguards you can find and you are sorted.
    I do get satisfaction at clearing the mud bath that stops everyone else.
    Ps head for the wettest bit of the mud.

bigyinn
    Free Member

I have to say the right kit (clothes, tyres, bike even) makes a massive difference to the experience.
    The only downside is having to spend the next half an hour in the dark cleaning the shit off you and your bike.

Kevsterjw
    Free Member

cbmotorsport

I was having to stop and scrape mud off my wheels and chainstays just so that they would turn.

ahh memories of mayhem…

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Mud is fine. But hoof and 4×4 eroded mud is sometimes impassible. For best results avoid farm tracks and bridleways in winter.

akasteve
    Free Member

we have the same problem on the bridleways around the Notts area.
    its about time we formed a pressure group to kick the horseriders off the bridleways!
    On a more serious alternative though, anybody know any decent 29er mud tyres to give ample rear wheel clearance on an Inbred?
    Currently got Smorgasbords on which i find quite decent apart from the clearance when combined with mud/ leaves/ mud.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

anybody know any decent 29er mud tyres to give ample rear wheel clearance on an Inbred?

Bonty 29-Mud, or whatever its called.

jools182
    Free Member

The worst part about riding in mud for me is having to clean me and the bike outside, in the dark, with cold water from the hosepipe as the bike lives in the house

puts me right off

wilko1999
    Free Member

Or the Maxxis Beaver, amazing winter tyre

zippykona

Or cross tyres.

tomd
    Free Member

If only someone would make 29er tyres for riding in thick claggy mud…

Or cyclocross tyres.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Mud’ is closed to new replies.