Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Mucky nutz fender bender
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Are they any good? Using a neo guard which keeps most mud out of my face but stanchions get a coating and seals, and also the noise it makes on compression sounds awful

Is the MN any better?

Do they do a really really minimal sized one or are they all the same size? Want one as un-noticeable as possible

jonathan
    Free Member

I really like Mucky Nuts – mostly due to how clean they keep your stantions.

If you want it “low key” then the black ones blend against the tyre pretty well. As they run fairly close to the tyre, and match its profile, they’re surprisingly “un-noticeable”

Northwind

I really like ’em, way better than the neoguard imo for the reasons you say (also, it just looks better). I use the little ones year round, they come off for slop season as they do have their limits, haven’t used the bigger size.

(I go up to SKS Shockboards for proper horrible mud… bring forth the MUD CANOE!)

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I have both,

In proper mud I prefer the neoguard.

The rest of the time I use the mucky nuts. I like it but find it clogs up easily, (but this could be down to shape of my fork crown and tyre combo)

tenfoot

Recently swapped from a neoguard to a fender bender. No regrets. Very impressive

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Cheers guys NW can you link me to a small one your using please bud? I want as small as possible version for maximum discreetness will all be black so as above sounds like it will blend into tyre / fork combo

Glad to hear you’ve used both too for comparison

emac65
    Free Member

As Jonathan says,great bit of kit

P20

I found them effective, but….
    They deformed putting the bikes in and out of the car and wouldn’t straighten properly
    At full travel, they bottomed out on the fork crown pushing the MN on to the tyre
    They’ve been removed

nealy
    Free Member

They’re great, much better than neoguard IMO

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

I like ’em. Got em on all 3 bikes.
    The real plus point is that they do protect the stanchions too.
    The minor negatives are that they intrude on clearance (I’ve noticed this most when riding in sticky snow) and they can get bent out of shape easily when multiple bikes are stacked in the boot with their front wheels removed.

xcgb
    Free Member

Ive got a XL one but am still getting as muddy a face as my mates with nothing, Maybe its just me but it just doesn’t seem to work on my Pitch?

tenfoot

IME they still need to be used with a crud catcher as they only stop the mud from flying forward of the bike, into your face

xcgb
    Free Member

Yes I think thats the issue , that’s what I was going to try adding next!

Northwind

@OW- mine are just the standard Bender Fender, the XL seems really good but is uglier.

muzzle
    Free Member

They’re good if there’s plenty of clearance in my experience; I switched to a Neoguard from a Mucky Nutz on one bike, as the Mucky Nutz kept catching on the front tyre. That was on a Fox fork with an admittedly pretty hefty Hans Dampf tyre. I transferred it over to another bike with a bit more front clearance and have had no issues with that one.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Cheers guys

And cheers NW will get one of the standard ones ordered and give it a shot

nealy
    Free Member

Mine kept breaking due to very very little tyre clearance so made my own from 1mm polycarbonate bought off ebay and zip tied it tight to the fork brace. It’s got a few scratches but is virtually indestructible even when bent completely in half with the front wheel off.

cookeaa

I made one out of the lid of a celebrations tub last winter for My DH bike, I’ll be doing the same for the HT this Christmas, might use a Quality Street Tub and do it in Purple…

Paying for a “fender bender” is almost as bad as paying for a “Neo guard”…

Harry_the_Spider

Mine was OK until a mud wedge developed between it and the tyre and within about 10 minutes it had been eroded so badly that the velco eyelets failed.

My fault for not clearing it straight away and for running a big tyre I guess, but as this was only the second ride with it on I was less than fluffed.

Whatever, it only cost £8.

ndg
    Free Member

Mine kept breaking due to very very little tyre clearance so made my own from 1mm polycarbonate bought off ebay and zip tied it tight to the fork brace. It’s got a few scratches but is virtually indestructible even when bent completely in half with the front wheel off.

This. I snapped the eyelets on mine in a crash, so used it as a template for a polycarbonate one. I found 0.75mm sufficient though. Recently made a new one with the mounts in a different place to suit my double arch Magura’s

Also as it’s clear it’s very unobtrusive.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Have the XL, it’s brill.

iainc

combine it with their ‘gut fender’ for ultimate protection. The gut fender is like a crud catcher, but weighs next to nowt and goes on and off in seconds with velcro. very very effective

failedengineer

I’d agree with most of that. However, their rear ‘mudguard’ is next to useless. A Crud Guard is immeasurably better.

nuke

their rear ‘mudguard’ is next to useless

Agreed. Difficult to attach securely, not much good at stopping the mud and fell off somewhere never to be seen again after my 3rd ride with it.

However the Bender Fender is great, particularly the XL which I just got. I do like the fact it keeps the mud off the stanchions unlike the neoguards

fudge9202
    Free Member

They are very flimsy what you need is a marsh guard!

leebaxter
    Free Member

Anybody use an xl on the rear, on the seat stays?. i was thinking of trying to get one to fit my spicy.

kayak23

Paying for a “fender bender” is almost as bad as paying for a “Neo guard”…

Both those products were already in existence if in slightly Heath-Robinson diy versions. A lot of people don’t want to strap an old inner tube to their £600 forks or a cut up milk bottle to their brace.
    Someone designed a permanent, adaptable solution, tested it, developed it, bought it to market….

It’s good to support things like that I reckon, though it’s pretty tempting to just essentially copy them I agree…

I have a Mucky Nutz, I broke the first one quite quickly and they sent me out a new one rapidly. Good people.

I have to say that in very thick, claggy mud, clearance becomes an issue. You want one of them hideous ‘THE’ motocross-type guards then.

Mind you, you can build yourself a diy version of them too.. 🙂

jonnyv
    Free Member

Really good for the size and weight.

misterlee
    Free Member

Got both on my Soul. Why? Because I have to justify to the wife why I paid £15 for a neo guard and I had the bender fender free with my Singletrack sub

Though aint tried them in the mud yet

cookeaa

Both those products were already in existence if in slightly Heath-Robinson diy versions. A lot of people don’t want to strap an old inner tube to their £600 forks or a cut up milk bottle to their brace.
    Someone designed a permanent, adaptable solution, tested it, developed it, bought it to market….
    It’s good to support things like that I reckon, though it’s pretty tempting to just essentially copy them I agree..

IIRC the neoguard patent was never actually upheld, due to the products lack of originality and a fair few preexisting “heath Robinson” examples being cited as “prior art”…

Similarly The bender fender is productionisation of an extant idea but ~£8 a go plus the pensive wait while RM decide if they fancy delivering it, you could have made several versions from various bits of reclaimed packaging. You tell me which is the best use of those opposable thumbs and that evolved simian toolmakers brain?

There seems to be a lot of waffle about “supporting” companies spouted on STW these days, and gushy praise when they comply with their responsibilities under SOGA in a timely fashion.
    Its just a business, this one helps people who can’t operate scissors. Well done them…

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Mucky nutz fender bender’ is closed to new replies.