• This topic has 24 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by grey.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Muckmedden Fair City Enduro – anyone going?
  • groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Anyone doing the Muckmedden Fair City Enduro?

Just seen that they have places available and am maybe interested – what is the course like? Long slog? Techy? Fun and flawy?

Will

legend
    Free Member

Short stages, nothing really technical and the last stage (assuming no change) is a fast, flowy, awesome blast. Worth noting that stage one will likely be a horrid wee climb though! Also worth noting that a huge amount has just been felled, apparently it’s working well though

Northwind

I did the first one, it was great. The junior kickstart obstacle course stage doesn’t seem to have caught on for the EWS but it bloomin should, it’s genius.

Also, it had a marshall shouting “watch out for the tree”, in a forest. Which particular tree? All of em really.

tom.nash

Great laid back event with testing but not particularly hard or gnarly stages last year. Best done in fancy dress…!

Northwind

Also, timed climb stages are shit. UNLESS! There’s a man at the top with a trumpet (*) playing the theme from Superman as you cross the line, then it’s instantly awesome.

(* or some sort of brass instrument, I don’t bloody know)

matt_outandabout

As eldest OAB won the mini Enduro sprint in town last year, perhaps we should go back… 😆

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Northwind – are there timed ups at the Fair City event?

grey

I’m going again this year despite it having a timed climb last time 😆 . looking forward to the obstacle course in the park.
    It’s all great fun though .

Northwind

There was when I did it- first stage was a short sharp climb. Legend’s post suggests it or something like it is still in. But tbh it was OK- it was a sprint so you couldn’t gain or lose a huge amount of time, and it was interesting to charge up it. Other timed-climb enduro stages like at the first king of the hill, or timed-canal-path stages like at EWS, mess things up with length. At Fair City it worked as part of the big picture, as did the junior kickstarting.

(also, the trials stage gave everyone a chance to see Joe Barnes’ sense of fair play and legitimate lines up close 😉 )

legend
    Free Member

2 years ago there was a nasty wee climb, last year it was the same climb with a flat bit before you got there.

Barnes’ lines are indeed ‘interesting’

Phil_H

I’ll be doing it again. It was really good fun last year even though stage 1 was that climb.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

How long is ‘the climb’? Are we talking 500m or 5km???

grey

Must be at least 1 km, it feels like that in my head it’s probably just 200m 😆 .

BoardinBob

st be at least 1 km, it feels like that in my head it’s probably just 200mm

O.1 miles according to my strava. It is steep though

Phil_H

Just back from a sneak preview of a couple of the stages.
    The Deuchney side stages are all different from last year and the climb isn’t in it this year.
    The one we did on the Kinoull side has a few changes too.
    All riding really nicely.
    Looking forward to it.

ultimateweevil
    Free Member

Supposed to be doing but have no frame at present as it’s off for a warranty claim and not sure I’ll have it back in time, plus I’ve not ridden a bike in about 6-7 weeks so not sure how well I’d do. Although was looking forward to the fancy dress aspect 😀

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

I’m actually working now anyway, good luck to all who do go!

Northwind

Weevil, you want a loaner? If you can work a medium and can pick up from Edinburgh you’d be welcome to a loan of my hemlock frame, it’s officially the track spare now…

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I quite fancy this now, hadn’t really looked at it before, but a few of the boys are up for it.

doubledunter
    Free Member

This will be the 3rd Ive did it, great fun, thought last years trails were better than the first but maybe because the trails were bone dry.

Also, it had a marshall shouting “watch out for the tree”, in a forest. Which particular tree? All of em really.

Remember the marshal shouting this as you came over the brow of the hill on stage 4 (I Think)

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Phil H I guess you’re not exactly championing blind racing and a fair event then? Though it is a chance to tell us you know something we don’t know na na na!

I’m in anyway, shame the climbs not in it though, I’d have been well up for that.

ultimateweevil
    Free Member

Cheers for the offer northwind, I’ve got an offer for a loaner of the same bike as I’ve got from a mate but I’m hoping I’ll have mine back in time and if not I’ll probably give it a miss as I’m kinda funny when it comes to bikes especially as it takes me a while to get happy riding a new one so the idea of doing a blind race on a bike I’ve not ridden before does worry me slightly.

I’ll add it took me 3+ months and a change of forks to get happy on my current bike.

Phil_H

Like I’m going to worry the podium 😆

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Just found out that this is quite short 14miles(?). Is it still worth travelling to?

grey

Well worth traveling to.
    It’s only short because it’s a well laid out course in a compact area, keeping the transitions short.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Muckmedden Fair City Enduro – anyone going?’ is closed to new replies.