Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Much of a scene for xc racing/riding in Edinburgh?
  • matt-lewis
    Free Member

Think I may know the answer to this but wonder if there is anyone with any knowledge on here about life up in Edinburgh. Nice place to live? What are the Pentlands like?

Cheers,

Matt

druidh
    Free Member

Pentlands? Crap. I had a ride round there yesterday and it was awful.

IMAG0295 by ScotRoutes, on Flickr

P1050027 by ScotRoutes, on Flickr

AlasdairMc

Pentlands are good fun when frozen or dry. Loads of riding in and around the city, and easy distance to Glentress/Innerleithen

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    matt-lewis
    Free Member

Ha Ha, what a sh%7hole!

I’m based in South Wales at the moment so the riding around here is decent. I should be asking about schools for the kids instead of riding.

Cheers for the responses.

Matt

tpbiker
    Free Member

That looks amazing Druid, where about is it (now I have my map!)

Whats it like up there at the moment, I was considering a trip at the weekend, maybe a venture up kips bypass and maybe a wee bit of exploring up Dens Cleugh. You reckon thats rideable at this time of year?

oh, and OP biking round Edinburgh is ace.

Northwind

I’m feeling good about the pentlands now, because they’re mostly frozen solid. But it’s not been a good year, I’ve been mostly avoiding them (and I live in them!) But still, it’s better riding than most people have on their doorsteps.

It’s a great location for going places too- highlands, borders and D&G all easily doable in a day. Glentress 40 minutes away, nice. Can’t speak for XC races as I’m rubbish at those so I just pretend they don’t exist, but there’s loads of enduro type events (innerleithen’s basically the UK’s home of enduro) and downhill obviously.

it’s really good, all told.

druidh
    Free Member

tpbiker – first photo is the trig point on Allermuir. Second is overlooking Glencorse Reservoir from the top of the woods.

Kips Bypass should be OK at the moment as it will be frozen, otherwise it can get a bit boggy at a couple of points. A nice descent down to Green Cleugh though!

Dens Cleugh is one of the boggiest tracks but again should be frozen.

There’s not, currently, enough snow to hide the trails so you shouldn’t get lost 🙂

tpbiker
    Free Member

Ah I was going to do it the other way,climb from Green Cleugh and then descend down to somewhere near exponential. I take it thats not the best way?

Either way ..log in sometime at the weekend, I’ll post if I get lost and you can come find me 🙂

druidh
    Free Member

Oh no. Definitely best done t’other way.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Much of a scene for xc racing/riding in Edinburgh?’ is closed to new replies.