Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Much difference between the Camber Evo and T-129?
  • TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Both frames stack up (and look) pretty much identical. Any preference as to which one? I ride the usual stuff/style.

somouk
    Free Member

The T129 has a better component spec if I remember rightly.

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Cheers, really just interested in the frame as I’ll transfer current kit onto it. Mind you, if I can get more money from selling better spec kit, that would be a bonus.

nuke

I was all up for a T129 ’14 but when i went to have a look at one, the rear tyre clearance, even with a very xc tyre in there, looked woeful and not up to the bigger rubber i wanted to use…guess that was the compromise for those short chainstays.

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Interesting, so a 2.3″ would be tight? Will have to check both over at the LBS.

somouk
    Free Member

That is a good point, I have a T129 and had to re-dish the wheel to move it over and fit a 2.25 Nic in there.

devash
    Free Member

Not much in it really. The Whyte has Avid brakes versus the Camber’s better Deore ones. The Camber has Fox rear shock and a better damper in the fork (RC3 vs RL in the Whyte).

Drivetrain is more or less the same mix of SRAM. The Whyte is £200 more but comes with a Reverb. Both come with no-name wheelsets which going by personal experience won’t last long so fathom in a new set when you are pricing up.

JCL
    Free Member

13mm lower BB and 20mm longer rear centre on the Camber but shorter front centre.

The rider is very centred between the axles on the Camber, more rear biased on the T-129. I prefer the former but you might not.

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

The Camber’s advertised with 2.3″ Purgatory tyres, so tyre clearance alone might swing it for me.

br
    Free Member

Interesting, so a 2.3″ would be tight?

If tight means won’t rotate, then yes 🙂

so tyre clearance alone might swing it for me.

tbh How it rides would be the key thing for me.

failedengineer

2.3 Bontrager XR3s fit the Whyte, as do 2.2 Pugatorys (with plenty of clearance). My pal has a Camber and it suffers from pedal strikes much more than my T-129. Excellent bike, IMO. Ditch the reverb and get some cash back and lose some weight.

deanfbm
    Free Member

Demoed a t129 own a camber evo.

Go camber evo.

Best way of describing it is that the t129 has the shape and feel of a typical XC bike 29er (like my 29er hardtail) the camber is an animal. I might have just lucked out on fit, but the camber puts me in a good position, keeps me in a good position and stays in a really composed position. Rear end tracks nicely, ramps up nicely on big hits and pedals really well.

The t129 just felt like an xc bike with a poor position and rear suspension that was TOO progressive, id have to to run 30% sag to get anywhere near full travel, meant the rear did not really track. Just wasn’t impressed by it.

Camber feels nice and stiff too, basically im so impressed by it, i really can’t envisage another bike of similar ilk being remotely better in any way.

I’m a rider that will do all day xc rides as well as hitting all the “big” stuff the dhers/freeriders hit.

chrismac

I had the same decision and went for the camber evo in carbon as it was the same price as the whyte because its a 2014 not a 2105. I absolutely love it. Ridden it in the Peak District and trail centres. Super fast and stable downhill and because it weighs bugger all it good uphill too (certainly alot lighter than the whyte). Dont get me wrong, the whyte is a great bike but for me the Camber is far better

Rockplough
    Free Member

I’m erring towards a T-129s for being slacker, longer, and having stealth reverb routing. It also has a non-OEM fork and I prefer the infinite adjustment of the RL over the 3-position of the RC3.

Plus I rode a T-129s and it blew my socks off. Would love to get a go on a camber comp evo mind you.

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Isn’t the Evo just as slack? It also has stealth dropper routing, from 2014 (first release of Evo version) onwards.

Rockplough
    Free Member

No it’s not as slack. 68 vs 69.

The dropper routing on the comp at least is not stealth. It comes out above the shock and routes up beside the seatpost like a regular non-stealth dropper. Also the internally routed part won’t fit reverb hose.

Murray

Reverb works after light drilling of the entrance hole…

Rockplough
    Free Member

Yeah I’ve seen people are doing that, but drilling a brand new frame is not for me.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Much difference between the Camber Evo and T-129?’ is closed to new replies.