Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Mtbing in and around south Londonium
  • fontmoss
    Free Member

So I might end up in south london* for next couple years from this August. Won’t find out for a few more weeks but I’d only be able to take one bike. Originally I had thought between the road bike and cx but someone suggested mtb might be worth taking. I’m utterly ignorant so is there much? I thought it was all flat?…

*Very vague because they’re very vague with us. It could be kent for a year then more central london for a year or it may be brighton. Like I said, vague.

stayhigh

Check out HERE 😉

fontmoss
    Free Member

A link back to the forum? Um thanks.

drofluf
    Free Member

Not a lot in London itself – although it depends where in South London you are 🙂 Some cheeky stuff on Wimbledon Common, not worth a journey but when I lived there it was on my doorstep… A little further afield you have Swinley and the Surrey Hills

Cheezpleez

Lots of good riding south of London, esp around Dorking and Swinley Forest areas. Personally, I find road riding in and around London unpleasant and dangerous but if you’re on the outskirts you can escape to quieter roads fairly quickly.

zippykona

You can pick some dirt up on the outskirts of Croydon which will lead to the North Downs. These are some of the muddiest tracks IN THE WORLD.
    Grab an OS map.
    Apart from Croydon the dirt starts around Sutton /Epsom.

robbonzo
    Free Member

There’s load in and around Brighton, – SDW, Stamner, Whiteways, Devils Dyke etc and surrey hills of course. Friston near Eastbourne too. When you get a definite idea post back again. If its near brighton I can fill you in abit more.

rewski
    Free Member

Surrey Hills is a big area, stretching from the North Downs Way in Oxted > Woldingham > Caterham > Reigate > Box Hill > Ranmore Common, this links up well with the Mole Valley, Leith Hill > Holmbury Hill > Pitch Hill. Lots of unofficial but tolerated trails elsewhere but the above is a good starting point. As someone mentioned above you’d be surprised how much XC is around Croydon, a lot of bridle paths and woods.

fontmoss
    Free Member

Hmm so mtb might actually be back in the frame. I’ll post back once find out more in a few weeks. Cheers guys

zippykona

Definitely MTB.
    Another good thing about sarf lunnon is trains.
    Ride somewhere, beer and home on the train. Really expands your area.

robnav
    Free Member

there are some secret woodland locations in south london/kent area that are worth a ride or two. if you end up in the sidcup/dartford area let me know.

Kato

fontmoss – Member

A link back to the forum? Um thanks.

stayhigh meant Sketchy

fontmoss
    Free Member

Ah ok, couldn’t work out if made a mistake or was demonstrating classic stw sarcasm. Ta!

torihada
    Free Member

We ride the local stuff in south London/Kent borders; Selsdon, Shirley Hills, Orpington. There’s a lot of stuff out there but its all local knowledge. If you end up in South London try here: Big Foot Bike Club They do night rides on Thursdays.

From SE London its 40 mins to the Surrey Hills. Here’s some footage from last Sunday:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LexhJCMGTFU&feature=share&list=UUF8hBrxOopIQqPaYh1_uw_Q[/video]

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Mtbing in and around south Londonium’ is closed to new replies.