Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • MTBing as part of GCSE PE
  • NormalMan

Anyone have a son or daughter that has done this?

My son is aiming to have mtbing as one of his 4 main sports to focus on and wondered if anyone had any experience of how they shot the videos etc needed for the coursework.

Thanks in advance.

Yes, I know, kids these are jammy getting to ride bikes for homework!

hs125
    Free Member

I did this a little while ago. Nothing too fancy. I don’t have a go pro or anything similar.
    We spent a few hours at Swinley with an iPad. I rode ahead and stopped to film my daughter at some of the more interesting bits. Included some rooty bits, mud and puddles and lots of the gravel trails.
    You can get lists of competencies you need to show for each exam board off the web, and need to show certain things such as controlled stops and cornering on berms. The more you cover, the higher the grade.
    We edited down to about 10 mins using iMovies. I was quite impressed with the results, as were her teachers. Only a percentage from each school get sent off to the exam board.

sambob
    Free Member

I did mine at Lee Quarry, all shot in a day, ticking off stuff from a list. Helped that Nick Craig was with me admittedl, as he knew the best ways to describe it in a way that showed I understood the skills, rather than just doing them instinctively. I was told I needed an external moderator (someone with sufficient qualifications) but as far as I know Nick never needed to sign anything so I’m not sure that’s actually the case. Jammy I know 😉

pguy78
    Free Member

I am a Pe teacher and I regularly use mtb as a sport for my students. We have an active mtb club and do regular trips and as I am a qualified leader I can sign off their work. You will need to have video evidence as it can’t be moderated on the school site, we generally put a selection of clips together of various runs and some skills in isolation. If you are son is doing OCR PE I will be able to get you a breakdown of what’s require. As a rough guide most of our students who get round Afan including the black run we sign off at level 1 and I have never had a moderator question that judgement.

NormalMan

Excellent. Thanks for the replies.

My son’s PE teacher doesn’t know much about mtbing but did give a printout of requirements.

I was thinking along the lines of following my son on a run, then a set of individual skill clips, perhaps even some slow mo ones.

I have a feeling he might try and squeeze a new bike out of this 😉 (currently on a very modded hardrock)

pguy78
    Free Member

Where are you based?
    There will be some key skills like stopping within a set distance. With regards to the trail ride I normal provide some footage of them being chased followed down the trail. Then various shot taken through the trail, on features ie steps, Berns, switch backs. If you are close I am happy to sign any paperwork off for you, if not I could take a look at the video and do it that way.

NormalMan

Thanks, I’m pleased I started this thread now.

I’m based in London so would have probably headed to Swinley automatically but am prepared to travel.

Thanks again.

pguy78
    Free Member

I can’t see your email. I am Sussex based. If you could find out the exam board that would be a great help.
    My email is in profile so you can get in touch with me that way and we can sort something out.

dabble
    Free Member

I would’ve enjoyed Cross Country in PE at school a lot more if I could have done it on me bike 🙂 . I think its really good that other sports get a look in at schools, as opposed to just rugby and football for the lads and hockey and netball for the lasses. Proper bo I tell thee.

NormalMan

Thanks. I’ll email you.

I did edit my post after being unable to find my own email in my profile either! Not sure what happened there 🙂

Really appreciate all the feedback in the thread.

Nezbo
    Free Member

PE for me back in the mid 90’s all we did in PE was either football or erm well that was it and I hated football mainly because I was useless at it, so I never used to take part or take my kit in, one parents evening the question got raised about me never taking my kit in, so my mum stuck up for me and said about me not liking football and regularly do 30mi+ mountain bike rides and races…

A week later I was asked to do a fitness test and I felt the teacher was shocked how fit I was, so instead of doing more intresting sports like cycling or even rugby (that I was also rubbish at but it was more fun) I didn’t have to do PE and leave my training to evenings and weekends…

pguy78
    Free Member

Cant see my email in my profile.
    Use pauldotguyan@skydotcom

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘MTBing as part of GCSE PE’ is closed to new replies.