Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • MTB Wheel Build – What Hubs?
  • iian
    Free Member

Hi All.

Just debating in my head on what hubs to go for on an MTB Wheel build. Hope Pro 4 seems like the stand out, however hearing good reports on DT Swiss 240s? Don’t know much about them.

Standard 100×15 F / 142×12 R hubs on 27.5″ rims for enduro type use.

Anyone recommend / got any experiences they’d like to share?

Cheers,
    Ian

willej

DT 350 hubs are also excellent and can be had for reasonable prices from bikediscount.de. They have the same internals as 240s but slightly cheaper/heavier shells.

RicB

Pro4 or DT350. Both great. Buy the ones you can get cheapest. Make sure the DT has the 36 ratchet though.

eshershore
    Free Member

DT Swiss 350 no doubt.Taiwanese forged shell with less machining (slightly heavier), slightly lower grade bearing, same “guts” as 240. Still bombproof outlasted all my hopes by some..

Not as easy to adapt as 240’s when moving bikes, choose carefully, but 350 not a big loss if you have to buy a different model.

If you find a deal on 240s get some. Otherwise 350

bigblackshed

Hope.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I’ve got Dt and Chris King hubs. Chris Kings are sublime, dt’s are nice but not King nice. Then again, the Dt rear is £180? Compared to over £500 for a King. 8O…

Dt it is then.

Northwind

DT240S is IMO best allround hub- King are “nicer” but DT are cheaper, quite a bit lighter, less troublesome in use… so who gives up all of that for nice?

But 240s are stupidly expensive new, I wouldn’t pay that- so the 350 makes a lot of sense. Or, do what I do- they’re a fantastic used option because they’re so reliable and durable, so buying an unfashionable wheelset and scrapping it for hubs can make a lot of sense.

(you do have to be careful doing this- because they’re so longlived, there’s still pre-15mm hubs doing the rounds and they’re pretty impractical to convert to 15mm.)

tom.nash

Hope; bombproof, easy to service, smooth running, well sealed, great noise from the rear hub.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Dt 240 for me or the stans Hubs but not sure you can get them on there own anymore.
    I like most hope stuff but not the pro 2 3 4 hubs don’t seem to last as well
    As the old bulb or xc/ Ti glide

Dt ones just keep going and are an acceptable weight

Northwind

Hope are alright tbh, I have them in my spare wheels, I had a lot of hassle with the older Pro 2 breaking axles and pawl springs but the newer ones are good… The sealing’s nothing like as good as the DTs mind. The servicing’s easier but needs done more often so I think that’s a matter of taste. (the central bearing in the DTs is a total pain in teh arse, but it very rarely needs done because it’s so deep in and so protected)

350 and Pro 4 weigh pretty much exactly the same but the 350s are a wee bit cheaper. But then Hope can be great value in a built wheel

fr0sty125
    Free Member

I have EX1501 wheelset which uses DT Swiss 240. They are really nice!

forzafkawi
    Free Member

I’ve got Hope hubs on the full suss and DT240s on the disc road bike.

Get Hope if you like a noisy freehub, DT Swiss if you prefer silence.

Speeder

Will you lot stop talking up the DT 240s’! I’m trying to find a 20mm 240s front hub and this is doing my chances no good at all.

Anyone got one they’d like to sell? 😆

robcolliver
    Free Member

I’ve done a few off road miles – wouldn’t consider anything but a DT240.
    Taking one on the TAT next year.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

240s’s or derivatives thereof.

Current spare wheelset was a complete EU sourced spline/1501 wheelset that looked like it was run over by a truck. Built up with some rims of choice, they came out super light.

it’s a cheap way of sourcing very good hubs which are light, reliable & easy to swap between standards. Less than £150 for the pair if you arn’t rushing & hold out for something 🙂

whitestone
    Free Member

What are folk doing to hubs? I’ve been running my Pro 2 EVos for 2 1/2 years and over 5500Km and not a hitch. The only time I’ve looked at them was to take the freehub off to have a look inside and check, just added a bit more grease.

I’ve got Industry9 hubs on the fat bike – I bought a rolling chassis second hand and the previous owner had got them built up – my first experience of them, they seem to run OK but have only done 400Km on them to date. Looking at the wheelbuilder’s site where he got them from the standard MTB hubs seem to be a similar price to the Chris Kings.

Northwind

Speeder – Member

Will you lot stop talking up the DT 240s’! I’m trying to find a 20mm 240s front hub and this is doing my chances no good at all.

Anyone got one they’d like to sell?

No but the magic word is EX1750, they came with the oversized front hubs and are pretty cheap now- they were uncool even before 26 inch was declared Unduro.

iian
    Free Member

Thanks for replies folks.

Surprised at just how popular DT Swiss is vs Hope. Pretty much everyone up until now has been recommending Hope.

Question is now, is the 240 worth the extra over the 350.

Thanks again

andysredmini
    Free Member

Both are good but I prefer hope. I have had about 8 pairs over the last 15 years and every one has been faultless. The only maintanace that I have done is a free hub clean and regresse once in a blue moon and one bearing change on 2 pairs. A friend had some dt hubs and switched to hope when the middle bearing failed and no local shops had the tool and the price of buying the tool was prohibitively high.
    If you don’t like the noise the hope freehub makes then a bit of extra grease silences it completely. I like it though.

adsh
    Free Member

The 350 front isn’t very flexible for axles whereas the oversize 240 is.

Hope £200

DT240s £335

£135 = 38 pints

blairc70
    Free Member

I have both 240 and hope pro 4, pick up is slightly quicker on dt and slightly lighter (center lock). Both have been great so far in terms of reliability. I’m sure you’ll be happy with either. If you like a noisy UK made hub to warn others go hope. If you are minted go DT.

Northwind

andysredmini – Member

A friend had some dt hubs and switched to hope when the middle bearing failed and no local shops had the tool and the price of buying the tool was prohibitively high.

The official one’s quite expensive but there’s better ones out there that cost about the same as a couple of bearings, so the cost’s quickly eliminated by the better sealing.

(Hubdoctor one is ace btw)

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘MTB Wheel Build – What Hubs?’ is closed to new replies.