Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • MTB vs Road Bike. How much faster on the road?
  • tron
    Free Member

TBH you could just get £50-£100 worth of old Raleigh racer / tourer. Get used to downtube shifters, fit dual pivot brakes and you're in business.

jonrambo
    Free Member

i can ride my downhill bike with 2.7" tyres faster than my road bike, i find the extra grip helps on the tarmac and thats on a 10mile road to work!

cpon
    Free Member

jon rambo – Member
    i can ride my downhill bike with 2.7" tyres faster than my road bike, i find the extra grip helps on the tarmac and thats on a 10mile road to work!

You truly are Jon Rambo, the drag on a 2.7 tyre along with the weight of a DH bike, not to mention the energy sapping bob of a long travel suspension bike must really take some effort on a 10 mile commute.

You say it gives you more grip than a road bike tyre – is this because your thunderous thighs are wheel spinning your skinny road bike tyres all the way through to top gear?

Junkyard
    Free Member

jon rambo you is the king 😯
    I wonder how the feeble Chris hoy maintains traction with his limited 2000 watt + power putput on those skinny tyres. I enjoyed you winding up th southerners but that was a weak attempt
    Road is about 15-20% faster than a slick MTB over moderately hilly terrain.

hp_source

Is this part of your 10 mile 'road' commute?… surely the only way it would be faster on a downhill bike.

ourmaninthenorth

A road bike will be quicker, but a simpler alternative may just be to buy a spare set of wheels (built as road rims on MTB hubs) and run normal road tyres. Gearing will be a little odd, but it should do what you need without great expense.

Only PITA is lack of mudguards on an MTB – rear guard can be bodged, but fitting full guards to a sus fork would be a challenge..!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Junkyard – Member
    Road is about 15-20% faster than a slick MTB over moderately hilly terrain.

Nonsense!

trail_rat
    Free Member

but fitting full guards to a sus fork would be a challenge..!

can be done – you just need smart light brackets and some injinuity + mount to rear of the arch

do not do it if you use the bike off road though , sticks become lethal

thomthumb
    Free Member

but fitting full guards to a sus fork would be a challenge..!

there are a couple locked up at work with them.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Why do you want guards anyway? You're not going to ride at a rate so slow you don't have to change clothes anyway are you?

I live above my office, really miss my commute to work 🙁

trail_rat
    Free Member

its grim getting road grime all over your stuff , face etc

cant be good for you , and putting the same stuff on at end of day is rancid !

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘MTB vs Road Bike. How much faster on the road?’ is closed to new replies.