Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • MTB video – is it just me…
  • franki
    Free Member

Almost every video you see these days of someone riding a mountainbike off road seems to be consist of sliding through corners with a foot out, flicking the back wheel at every opportunity, launching off any trail obstacle that’s larger than 1mm in height and sprinting in that nodding BMX style.

Is it just me who finds this style of riding really irritating? What’s wrong with fast, smooth & efficient, finesse?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

It’s not much to look-at?

wwaswas

What’s wrong with fast, smooth & efficient, finesse?

It generally looks crap on a video?

franki
    Free Member

It generally looks crap on a video?

Depends on the viewer though – I’d rather watch a smooth rider. But then (and for that reason I guess) I’d rather watch XC, CX or road racing than DH, dirt jumping etc.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Watching CX? Jeesus, that’d be the only thing in the universe worse than doing it.

creamegg
    Free Member

how dare anyone have a bit of fun on a mountain bike. Popping off the tinyest bit of lip is what we did as kids, and still do now because its fun. Bigger ones are obviously better. I don’t skid round corners though, well not intentionally

iolo
    Free Member

So don’t watch DH and dirt jumping videos.
    I don’t like Coronation Street so avoid it.
    Simple really.

discoduck
    Free Member

I agree ! Who the fuch watches XC ? Oh hang on I’ll just un clip and walk this section and make up the time on my 29er, the only thing more boring than riding in Lycra is sat watching it “In Lycra” !

And that shit kinda riding is only something you do when your not old enough to have a phone on contract, you couldn’t ride like that for 5 hours it would make you vommit !

At the end if the day don’t watch it, watch Rat Boy Bryceland on a DH bike, **** me that kid has flow !

franki
    Free Member

I was expecting a bit of a backlash, but knowing there are some closet roadie & CX riders on here, I figure I can’t be on my own?

Having fun on a mountainbike isn’t limited to pulling jumps, btw. 😉

I don’t watch much in the way of DH & jump vids, but there seems little else and any MTBing is better tha none!

franki
    Free Member

discoduck wrote:

I agree ! Who the fuch watches XC ? Oh hang on I’ll just un clip and walk this section and make up the time on my 29er, the only thing more boring than riding in Lycra is sat watching it “In Lycra” !

I love watching XC racing.
    You haven’t seen much of Nino Schurter riding if yoy still believe all XC racers can’t ride technical trails at speed.

andytherocketeer

Half the vids to me seem barely more than someone inflicting their favourite band on viewers.

If a vid contains music, there’s a 60% chance if it being blocked here (on Youtube – Vimeo is OK), cos the German equivalent of the PRS refuses to sign a deal, and they own rights to ALL music by default, not just that of their members.

So, if/when the GEMA warning comes up, I now automatically assume that it was a rubbish vid with someone’s bad taste in music. I can get around it with a UK proxy, but 99% of the time, I really CBA.

So… if you make a vid… please let us hear the sounds of the bikes, not the contents of your iPod. Thanks.

franki
    Free Member

If a vid contains music, there’s a 60% chance if it being blocked here (on Youtube – Vimeo is OK), cos the German equivalent of the PRS refuses to sign a deal, and they own rights to ALL music by default, not just that of their members.

So, if/when the GEMA warning comes up, I now automatically assume that it was a rubbish vid with someone’s bad taste in music. I can get around it with a UK proxy, but 99% of the time, I really CBA.

So… if you make a vid… please let us hear the sounds of the bikes, not the contents of your iPod. Thanks.

I have that issue at work, as our sever is in Germany.

SamB
    Free Member

Hey now, CX videos aren’t all boring! 😆

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEGAIYKTZ9w[/video]

ThePinkster

I have that issue at work, as our sever is in Germany.And me.

titusrider
    Free Member

where’s Jamie? that cx video needs a gif 🙂

sparkyrhino

Joooeeeyyyy

soulwood
    Free Member

I agree with the OP. If the vid starts off with full facers or piss pots pushing uphill I find I have already lost interest.

maxtorque

andytherocketeer

So… if you make a vid… please let us hear the sounds of the bikes, not the contents of your iPod. Thanks

Just for you Andy:
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-9DOVDf4ew&feature=youtu.be[/video]

😉

As mentioned, the problem with more normal, less showy riding is it simply looks dull on video. Bit like F1 races really, yes they are doing 200mph, but it doesn’t look like it does it (until something goes petetong, and they you can suddenly see the ‘energy’ in the situation!)

DrP

I’d like to see a video of the south downs way.
    Double.
    In real time..

Knar…

DrP

franki
    Free Member

soulwood wrote:

If the vid starts off with full facers or piss pots pushing uphill I find I have already lost interest.

Amen bro. 🙂

iolo
    Free Member

Maxtorque,
    That’s 49 seconds of my life I’ll never get back.
    Maybe add some Slipknot to it?

mtbfix

I agree to a large extent with the OP on this one. One of the mantras of sustainable mtbing is not to skid on the trails. To a bit slower and brake sensibly.

And that shit kinda riding is only something you do when your not old enough to have a phone on contract, you couldn’t ride like that for 5 hours it would make you vommit !

My phone is on payg. Does that make me younger than my years?

loddrik
    Free Member

Mtb videos are shite anyway.

andytherocketeer

Watch the German/Swiss/Austrian ones. That’s all endo turns. And actual mountains. Switchbacks on alpine footpaths are too narrow for a rooster-tail turn.

Oh and ccmixter “music” so doesn’t get blocked by greedy cartels.

coogan
    Free Member

Mtb videos are shite anyway.

What I’ve always thought too!

lex
    Free Member

I like this one

[video]http://vimeo.com/69611814[/video]

but then again I did make it so I’m biased

wl
    Free Member

thestabiliser – lol and +1 Most mtb footage looks crap, especially the amateur headcam dross, but who the ?#*€ actually wants to watch xc or cx footage?!

iolo
    Free Member

[video]http://youtu.be/ukzyCBE5BWU[/video]

EDIT:- I’m not good with technology, Can someone post this link?

lex
    Free Member

I’m not good either

edit – tried to post link but failed

rOcKeTdOg
    rusty90
    Free Member

lex – Member
    I like this one

That’s more like it. If I ever do a video it will be called “Two old geezers and a dog pootle around the woods for a bit then go down the pub”.
    Not sure of the music, maybe “Busy Doing Nothing” by Bing Crosby?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Occassionally you get a great video but the marginal benefit of each video is pretty small these days. Videos rarely give justice to the ground and become very samey, very quickly. Still great for identifying new places to ride though and getting a flavour but I normally hit end well before the actual end.

How often do you watch your own video?

franki
    Free Member

I dunno rOcKeTdOg, those steps were a tad gnarr. 😉

Tried to watch that vid the other day, but it wouldn’t play for some reason. Seems o.k. now though!
    I still haven’t made it over to the NW Alps yet this year…

mudmonster
    Free Member

I totally agree with the OP. I hardly watch them anymore. Those jump videos are almost as boring as listening to golf on the radio.

rOcKeTdOg

i like this one, proper riding, & a real story to go with it
    [video]http://vimeo.com/70842919[/video]

maximusmountain
    Free Member

[video]http://vimeo.com/11695455[/video]

My personal favourite riding film. CX ftw.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Joey , the man who sAved cx. Wunderbar

_tom_
    Free Member

a bit slower and brake sensibly.

Since when was riding about being sensible though?

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘MTB video – is it just me…’ is closed to new replies.