Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Mtb up to max of £1000
  • mikey74
    Free Member

A mate of mine is after one to get fit on (he’s getting it through the ride to work scheme) and has asked me for recommendations.

The trouble is he’s around 16 stone so it needs to be of a sturdy nature.

He is mainly looking to get it through Evans as there is one nearby.

I would be grateful if you could offer your opinions on which bike to look at. He keep son looking at a full-suss but I keep saying that at price point, the shock probably wont be up to dealing with a 16 stone person: Am I correct in assuming this?

mboy
    Free Member

Not necessarily, plenty of full sus bikes come into the sub £1k category these days that are decent enough bikes. And 16 stone is not light, but mountain bikes are built to take abuse from big heavy people too.

I would still say that sub £1k a hardtail will represent better value for money, and overall performance though.

If he’s looking in Evans, I can’t recommend Genesis Bikes highly enough. I’ve got an Altitude frame which I built up into a custom bike, but there’s plenty of off the shelf options. The Altitude 10 is £949 iirc and recently won a sub £1k shootout in MBUK magazine. I love mine, perhaps I’m biased, but I don’t think there’s many all round packages out there better for the money. Sure, you can buy hardtails that are lighter, or come with flashier kit, but as an allround package the Altitude is a great bike.

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

(*cough) Orange Crush (*cough)

im 15stone w/o kit and they are awesome bikes (mines the 06 version)- rode a new one a couple of weeks back and its rides lovely, very confidence inspiring and good spec for the money

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    dickydutch

At that price, Focus bikes from wiggle have to be worth a look?!
    Chuffed to bits with mine!

mikey74
    Free Member

Thanks, that Genesis looks very good.

DD: He wants to be able to try it out first, which counts wiggle out I’m afraid.

richc
    Free Member

At 16 stone (which isn’t that heavy) you/he needs ensure that whatever bike he gets has an air fork, and tubeless (or stans kitted) wheels, or else you have to factor in new fork springs, and a pile of tubes, as he will be pinch flatting quite a bit if he isn’t careful, so the tubeless kits will make his life a lot easier in the long run..

mikey74
    Free Member

Tubeless is a waste of time IMO, especially as he is a newbie to bikes in general.

richc
    Free Member

why so? stans kit + sealant means that he won’t have to fix punctures 3 times a ride if he lives anywhere rocky.

Once the stuff is in, its pretty much fit and forget.

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

im heavy (as previously stated) live/ride in the peaks and have only ever pinched 3 times (in 2 rides)- and im putting that down to the shitty conti’s i had on at the time.

just stick a DH tube in the back

mikey74
    Free Member

I’ve been out riding with people who run tubeless and stood there, in the dark, while they’ve struggled with them, only to end up putting tubes in.

Holiday in Spain: Only members of group to get punctures: People running tubeless.

Not worth the hassle. Anyway, I dont want to turn this into a debate on tubes vs tubeless, so back to the sub 1000k bikes please :mrgreen:

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

P7
    One of the Commencals maybe?
    Kona 5-0?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Mtb up to max of £1000’ is closed to new replies.