• This topic has 18 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by duir.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • MTB Tyres, worth deviating from the norm? (wtb)
  • oldtalent
    Free Member

The wtb breakout(r) vigilante(f) have come onto my radar this weekend. Looking to replace my knackered hans d front and the prices of the new adix stuff is a bit much. I was originally planning to get a dhf to match my aggressor rear but the prices of the wtb tyres is hard to ignore. I especially like the sound of the tough carcass.
    However I have gone off piste before with geax gomas which are by far the worst tyres I have had the displeasure to use, so im slightly reluctant to deviate from maxxix/schwarbles.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Think the WTB will be fine. I had a Vigilante/Trail Boss Combo previously and although I don’t remember them being amazing I also do not remember them being rubbish which I would if they were as bad as some I’ve tried……

The prices for Schwalbe and Maxxis in particular can be really high so I’ve also been looking at WTB and Specialized as alternatives.

jamesoz

I like the Vigilante high grip, way better than a Damp hands IMHO but not as grippy as a Mary Vertstar. Can’t comment on the breakout.

Thought lots of places had the non addix shwables on sale?

Geax Goma I have on the rear of my single speed, seems ok. Tried it on the front and it was awful.

ajantom

I’ve been running Vigilante front/Trail boss rear for a couple of years.
    Good grippy combo, work well in most conditions, easy to set up tubeless, and tough as old boots in the Tough/Fast version.
    For the recent drier weather I’ve put a WTB Riddler on the back, and that is working very well – like a faster version of the TB.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Tyres are pretty much the most important thing for me, I think get the best you can/ like the most.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

So much so I wrote it twice. Double post!

oldtalent
    Free Member

@howsyourdad true but my whats something worth ometer is tingling for a tyre over 50 quid.

@jamesoz
    yes I would say the convert looks more on par with a mary, so was on my list for a wet tyre. The front goma was dangerous, the rear had me skating sideways into corners like the herberts on youtube.

I think i will give these a go, tough fast on the back & tough(maybe light) grippy on the front.

bails

I was about to post that I really like the Geax Goma I got in a PX clearance sale, so the WTB might be worth a try as well, as a break from the normal brands But then saw

I have gone off piste before with geax gomas which are by far the worst tyres I have had the displeasure to use

so who knows!

chestrockwell

I’ve been running Vigilante front/Trail boss rear for a couple of years

This combo came on my new bike and they seem decent all-rounders. Rear doesn’t like sticky mud though.

dumbbot
    Free Member

I paid £13 each from PX for the Vigilante Tough high grip/Trail Boss Tough Fast…hard to argue with the Vigilante up front for that price, however

Rear doesn’t like sticky mud though

Trail Boss is utterly and completely useless in mud, lasted only a few rides before i binned it off…some one can have it if they want.

And looking at the tread pattern im not convinced about the breakouts ability to shed mud either,

chiefgrooveguru

I was looking at the Vittoria tyres on their stand at Big Dog on Saturday and the Mota and Martello look extremely well thought out. If you want something for the front with oodles of grip and a lot of versatility I’d definitely put them on the list.

Martello left, Mota right:

I really like the look of the Mota as an all conditions UK tyre – basically a cut spike with such fat side knobs it won’t squirm on dry hardpack.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Bontrager also make really good tyres that are a little cheaper

bigjim

I just had my first ride on a breakout on the rear and thought it was absolutley fantastic , pretty heavy though.

grey

I like the WTB tyres, I run a Vigilante from and Trailboss on the rear, but in the winter I change to a Magic Mary on the front.
    I still keep the Trailboss on the rear though I like how it feels loose.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Like the look of those Vittoria’s too….

ajantom

I’ve been running Vigilante front/Trail boss rear for a couple of years

This combo came on my new bike and they seem decent all-rounders. Rear doesn’t like sticky mud though.

Luckily for me most of my riding in Devon is on pebblebed heaths, gravel, and sandy earth, so it works all year round for me. I’ve ridden better winter tyres, but as an all rounder I rate it.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Trail boss is good on rear as grey says, all depends if you don’t mind the back slide a wee bit. Good traction and braking in mud.

Breakout is a total head scratcher, looks like it should be shite in gloop, is actually bloody good.

Dumbbot – I’ll give the price of post and pack for that trailboss no probs. Gimme a pm, thanks.

bigjim

Breakout is a total head scratcher, looks like it should be shite in gloop, is actually bloody good.

I noticed it had fantastic bite in that kind of thin 2cm layer of mud you get at this time of year when it’s been wet, was very surprised.

duir
    Free Member

Nobeer which version of the breakout and what size do you have?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘MTB Tyres, worth deviating from the norm? (wtb)’ is closed to new replies.