Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • MTB Tyre quandry ??
  • BigAirNig
    Free Member

OK folks – so who uses what tyres in what part of the country ?

I live in Surrey and ride Surrey Hills, North and South Downs – but heading to the Peak District for the bank holiday. XC riding with my Rocky Mountain Altitude …. 140mm travel front & rear.

Currently using Maxxis High Roller 2.1 Kevlar version and they are pretty good, but I'm wondering what other tyres are popular in the UK, especially with summer coming and thoughts of using a different tyre

a) If it's worth it for a British 'summer' and
    b) if there are other tyres that may handle the drier conditions better than mine ….. which are not specific summer tyres, but pretty good 3 season, I guess.

Don't want too heavy either ….

Thoughts and views on tyres then ??

Cheers

Nig

tron
    Free Member

Conti rubber queen folders are going cheap on Ebay. Not really summery semi slicks though.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    njee20
    Free Member

Best 3 season tyre is the Racing Ralph IMO. The Rocket Ron is grippier, but much lighter and flimsier. They're my stock tyre of choice on the Surrey Hills, but they don't last, and I wouldn't use them in the Peaks.

BigAirNig
    Free Member

Cheers – I have just gone for the Rocket Ron up Front and Ralph on the back – also going tubeless for the first time, so excited to see how they stack up. Thought if i don't try, I won't know which I prefer…… re. tubeless.

Nice, light, easy rolling tyres, with enough grip for changeable UK conditions for much of the year.

See how it goes I guess !

steve_b77
    Free Member

Was about to say Nobby nic up front adn Rocket Ron out back

rootes1

geax saguaro

stumpy01

Conti Speed Kings – so long as you can get them on & off the rim! I struggle with mine but when they're on, I like 'em.

takisawa2

Still alive after running 2.1 Kenda Small-Block 8's at MachX & the Tarw at CyB over the weekend. Far grippier than they would appear to be. And tough given the rockfest that the above trails are. (IMO). Can get a bit sketchy on the loose-dry bits at Cannocks Monkey trail if really pushing hard. But loving the virtually zero rolling resistance. These are staying put now till Summer ( Autumn) is over. Thought the hype was just that but they are spot on.

Northwind

Small Block 8 is an amazing rear tyre, didn't get on with it on the front though, it didn't kill me but it never inspired any confidence at all, slid around constantly in a fairly unnerving way. A better rider wouldn't mind that so much but I can't concentrate with my arse clenched that tight 😉

I think those cheap rubber queens are the non-black chili ones btw. And since the black chili ones have pretty poor cornering grip, I'd stay well away from the basic ones myself.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘MTB Tyre quandry ??’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts