Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • MTB Trails – Powys?
  • Kryton57

Hi – does anyone have any knowledge/garmin files of a 1-2hrs of Trails in or around Powys?

I have a meeting there next Tuesday morning and an afternoon free, I could take the Bike…

whitestone
    Free Member

Powys is the largest county in Wales, might help if you narrow it down a bit 😉

Kryton57

Ah sorry – Llandrindod Wells.

whitestone
    Free Member

There’s stuff in Radnor Forest and Elan Valley isn’t too far away. I don’t have any GPX files to hand but the Vertebrate guide to Wales has a few routes in that area.

shadowfax

Which direction are you heading in from?

Klunk
    Free Member

IIRC the nearest trail center is Nanty then Brechfa. Some great stuff at Rhayader

Kryton57

Which direction are you heading in from?

Southampton :D. So Gloucester, Hereford, A44.

mahalo

long gap?

T1000
    Free Member

Recommend avoiding Hereford the traffic system/ congestion is horrible for such a small city

Suggest m5 J11
    A40 Gloucester
    A40 branch on to B4125
    At Newent take B4125 continue on to A4172

Continue on to A417 then on to A49

There are some excellent trails in the area the guys behind the Marin Roughride used to publish routes

beefheart
    Free Member

There’s a fair bit of natural stuff to ride around Llandrindod, but for smiles per miles I’d head to Cwm Rhaeadr- about 30 minutes away.

Kryton57

What about road riding? Whats the A483 / A44 like for a and hour or so riding about?

I’m looking at google thinking of a loop north up the A488 to Monaughty, across to Llanbister and back down the A483 to Llandrindod?

aP
    Free Member

The A483 is a pretty busy road filled with articulated lorries and mad Welsh van drivers. although the scenery is nice I’d be tempted to avoid it during the week.

beefheart
    Free Member

Lots of scope for road rides, but the more B roads the better as they’re generally very quiet.
    For that amount of time, I’d recommend a circular route towards Hundred House and back.

timber

Big common south of Builth near Erwood/Painscastle. I don’t have any GPS routes, but just randomly riding around will find stuff. Not technical, but can pick up a lot of speed easily.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

MTB is best from either Builth or Rhayader. Navigation can be hard though as in a lot of places there are no discernible trails on the ground.

Road ride from Llandrindod is great though.

Let me check my diary later today. I should be able to squeeze a bit of free time Tuesday afternoon to take you on a nice road ride.

What time are you free from and how long do you want to be out?

Kryton57

Wow thanks for the offer.

Well, my meeting is scheduled to end at 11. I’d need to change out of a suit, then would like 60-90 mins before jumping in the car and heading back to London?

I need to be gentle as i have a calf strain and will be racing rhe next day 😀

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Just sent you an email.

I have a couple of nice 1 hour rides from my front door, a couple of good climbs (it is Wales) but we can plod steadily up them.

alexcrash
    Free Member

Loads of choice so depends what you want?
    Lots of stuff round Rhyader and Elan valley

core

Not a huge detour to Hopton from Llandod, if you want waymarked and natural feeling, that’d be my top pick, everything else locally will need gpx and still be hard to find.

core

If you want natural, hilly, off road stuff, Kington will be on your route to/from Llandod, Rough Ride territory, I could do you a reasonable little route if you’re interested.

I’d avoid the A44 like the plague on a bike, all A roads around here actually. You could do a nice road/forest/bridleway loop from Pembridge, ideal on a cx/gravel bike or a hardtail.

Kryton57

Many thanks to Mary Hinge, we had a beautiful sunny ride around Llandrindod and Builth this evening. Nice to meet someone new and experience some great scenery.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Yep, great to meet you Kryton.

Weather was perfect for a spin round the lanes talking bikes 🙂

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘MTB Trails – Powys?’ is closed to new replies.