Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • MTB tour of Scotland – suggestions?
  • Rustychain
    Free Member

Hi

A few of us are planning a week in Scotland next year. The plan is to visit the decent trail centres and also ride any epic XC routes.

I’ve found this in the archives:
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/mtb-tour-de-scotland

Any ‘must ride’ suggestions would be really appreciated. We’ll be taking hardtails and full sussers.

Also, any thoughts on the best time of year? We were thinking May/June.

Cheers

Rusty

highlandman
    Free Member

Personally, I’d say to go pretty light on the trail centres and do as much natural stuff as possible as to me, that is where Scottish riding is at its best.
    Highlight regions to consider as a base are Kinlochleven, Braemar, Aviemore and Torridon. You could easily spend 4-5 days at each and not ride everything worthwhile nearby. Each has several challenging ‘big’ days out, at least one good 2 day tour plus simpler days within pedal or a short drive.
    If you really feel that you have to do trail centres, do either Glentress/Innerleithen or Dalbeattie/Kirroughtree.
    Laggan is handy for both Ft Bill, Aviemore or the road north to Torridon, so can be fitted into a road trip quite well.
    Anytime from late April to mid June can be superb, and generally midge-free. Later in September and the first half of October can also be superb (this year was the best for a long time…) but so long as you accept the risk of some mixed weather, anytime from 1 April to 1 November is good.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘MTB tour of Scotland – suggestions?’ is closed to new replies.