Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Mtb to motocross learning curve
  • surreyxc
    Free Member

So I have the opportunity to go on a guided multiple day motocross tour. Classified as medium. I mountain bike with a mate who does both disciplines and he thinks I will be fine. My mtb skills are about 5ft drops, 1ft high bunny hops, 6-7 ft gaps etc, 25yrs mtb and normally get down red runs. However my time on a motorbike is just a few times on the road on a 250. So asking how others have found the transition. I got another mate no bike skills at all and even he survived a ktm beginners day. I don’t mind it being tough. My mate reckons after day one I will be into it. I just don’t want to be terrified all day, hold the group back or really serious injury.small injuries are fine. He says often he is going no faster on singletrack than on our mtb’s just that those speeds are maintained on the flat and even uphill. Really what I would like is a day out bumming around before stumping up cash and committing to 5 days but no time. Does it sound foolish, just me and him been riding for years I know his ability is on par with mine and if he reckons I will cope then it gives me some confidence.I am looking to just get down the trails and know for sure I won’t be getting cocky. Any thoughts on the transition between the disciplines.

timmys

Many years since I’ve been near motocross bike, so maybe definitions have changed, but I have no idea what a “guided multiple day motocross tour” might mean. Motocross, by definition = on a track.

You might want to clarify what’s being offered sp people can help with advice.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I’m a little confused too. What bikes will you be riding?

My guess is you’ll have a great time, absolutely love it but find it surprisingly knackering riding a bike with an engine

joefm

Its trail riding or enduro I would guess. Like a mountain bike. Lots of skills such as reading terrain are transferable. You’ll be fine.

sharkattack

He says often he is going no faster on singletrack than on our mtb’s just that those speeds are maintained on the flat and even uphill

Sounds just like riding an e-bike.

No real experience to add but I’d love to try one of these guided enduro holidays. I’ve only had brief experiences on motocross bikes and my more experienced mates seemed to think I was doing alright. My first try was with a couple of people who had been riding on the road on sports bikes for years and they thought they were going to smash it. They were telling me how useless I was going to be having only ridden mountain bikes.

Let’s just say riding super fast bikes on tarmac gives you a pathological fear of losing control. Any little slip or drift is terrifying. Getting stuck in a rut is unthinkable. They were absolutely crap at it. I found it a lot more fun having years of experience sliding around in the mud on a bike that isn’t always pointing directly forwards. It felt like my DH bike but with an instant burst of speed on tap. Those huge knobbly tyres dig in so hard you can just lean and lean on them. I wasn’t ‘fast’ but I took to the basics and put some smooth laps together.

So yeah, I think your skills will transfer. Just remember that throttle doesn’t have to be wide open. You can crawl over unbelievable stuff with little effort.

tish
    Free Member

From previous experience on a similar excursion I think you need to be honest with yourself.
    We had a guy with the group who was competent on a road bike but couldn’t transfer them skills to off road. He was all over the place so we had to keep waiting for him, not a problem for us but it was affecting him, so he was trying to push on to keep up. After several comical falls he ended up going straight on into a dry stone wall and the guide called it a day for him, took him to a road and directed him back to the cabin.
    Not sure what terrain you will be on but you say you have only done a few miles on road, things happen a lot quicker off road when you’re not used to throttle and clutch use.
    Also do you have a license? Most of these tours involve riding on road and you say you only have a few miles experience.
    Don’t want to put a dampener on it but if you’re out of you’re comfort zone you won’t enjoy it and it can be dangerous.
    Although if you’re competent on a motorbike and can control yourself not to chase the faster guys it will be great fun!

surreyxc
    Free Member

Thanks for the input. Yes sorry for any confusion on terminology. Its enduro I.e on an off road motorbike out for the day on fire roads, singletrack then accommodation and repeat. Def not on a track.tbh I struggle with even mtb definitions . It used to be just mountain biking on mountain bikes.

mos

I took my dad to Geraint Thomas enduro spot in wales for one of their enduro experience days. He’d never ridden a motorbike off road & not on the road for 20 years, but i would say is a reasonably proficient mountainbiker (was 62 years old at the time). They started him with the basics in a field on a steady away bike (TTR 225 i think) & by 10.30 we were all razzing round the woods & up hills & along singletrack (albeit at different speeds) & he had a great day out.
    What i’m saying is if you’re half way proficient on an mtb & can get your head round the gears/clutch/braking on an off road bike, you will be absolutely fine. If there’s an option of starting on a 250 instead of a 450 then that might be a good idea, tired arms & whiskey throttle are not a good combination.

surreyxc
    Free Member

Yes have a licence ridden 500cc. But really not much experience beyond that.

surreyxc
    Free Member

It usually takes me a few rides round the block to get the clutch , throttle harmonised. But I guess any bike is like that.

JAG

I’ve done both MTB and enduro riding on a motorbike in the last 12 months.

I think the problem you will have is managing the motorbike while riding trails.

On a MTB you don’t have to worry about clutch/throttle/gears etc…. whilst also handling everything the trails throw at you. You arrange the power transfer from your legs to the trail without thinking – that’s more difficult on a motorbike simply because you’re not as familiar with the method/mechanism.

Don’t let that put you off the 5 day ride – it sounds like great fun. BUT spend plenty of time getting familiar with your motorbike preferably before venturing out on the first day but if that’s not possible then take yourself and the motorbike off at every opportunity and get familiar with it 8)

Above all else go for it but be gentle with it – even a low powered motorbike can get you hurt at very low speed.

surreyxc
    Free Member

Hey Jag. Some good points there. And yes all about time in saddle. Even an mtb can take me a while before in feel truly connected to it. Even changing a tyre can take time to learn it’s ‘feel’

Stevet1
    Free Member

It used to be just mountain biking on mountain bikes.

Mountain bikes eh? Ahh I remember when it was all just all terrain biking on ATB’s

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Riding motorbikes is great fun just take it easy enjoy it and don’t try and be competitive with the better guys motorbikes hurt when you come off and this time of year the lanes can be a bit over grown covering a lot of hidden ruts so be careful and feather the throttle don’t go gun ho with it you see many sports bikers go off-roading and get one hell of a shock how hard it can be I do both but am better on a Motorbike than a MTB but started on them first but still got caught out couple of years ago with a silly crash on the ridgeway and did in 2 ribs bloody hurt as said above just enjoy and don’t follow the guy in front to close so you can read the trail and when the trail opens out give it some gas great feeling.

sharkattack

We had a guy with the group who was competent on a road bike but couldn’t transfer them skills to off road. He was all over the place so we had to keep waiting for him

you see many sports bikers go off-roading and get one hell of a shock

So this is a common thing then? For me it just equated to a smug drive home with some very quiet sports bike riders and a few weeks of smug teasing.

kayla1
    Free Member

If you’re offered a lazy-ish four stroke with an electric starter to get started on, grab the opportunity with both hands. Off-roading on a motorbike is pretty hard work and you’ll soon get tired of picking up and kick starting the bike if/when you drop it! It’s fun, but different to MTBing in that the bike weighs about 8 times more and your feet are directly under you rather than leading/trailing like they are on an MTB. It takes a bit of getting used to which is why a relatively low powered 4t donk would be best to start on- choose the 250 stroker the next time you go out 😆

We had a guy with the group who was competent on a road bike but couldn’t transfer them skills to off road. He was all over the place so we had to keep waiting for him

edit- the thing is, is that any (relative) newcomer to a pastime generally won’t be as competent as someone who’s been doing it for years. Ask a seasoned off-roader to join in the fast group on a (sports bike) trackday the first time they go out (on a sports bike in that environment) and chances are they’ll be left behind too. They’ll have the bike operation thing down but I’d bet they’d be taking random lines and be a danger to themselves and others around them. Just because you ride off road doesn’t mean you are inherently ‘better’ (on a motorcycle) or superior to someone who hasn’t.

tish
    Free Member

That’s true Kayla1 which is why I said it wasn’t a problem waiting for him, which you didn’t quote. I’ve also ridden with road riders who were crazy quick, everyone is different.
    I made the point to show that the skills aren’t instantly transferable for everyone and not to get hurt chasing the more experienced riders, as that’s not fun.
    I wasn’t having a pop or saying any discipline was ‘better’ as you put it.

kayla1
    Free Member

Wasn’t a dig at you tish, I missed the original post and didn’t get the context- no harm done, eh? x

tish
    Free Member

Haha no probs

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’m a very average MTBer and have been for 25 years on and off. I do small jumps and drops, trail centres and the Apls don’t bother me unduly
    I’ve been riding a motorbike for nearly as long, I do LOTS of miles, I’m a very confident and competent road rider
    The only times I’ve ridden a motorcycle off road, which is just a few, I’ve found it astonishingly easy. No pedalling and loads of suspension! Piece of piss! Off road motorbikes weigh bugger all compared to road bikes as well.
    I think you’ll be fine.
    Stick to a small, light bike though. 250cc 4 stroke should be perfect.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Mtb to motocross learning curve’ is closed to new replies.