Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • MTB Tandem Wheelset, recommendations?
  • gpsBRM
    Free Member

Have a Cannondale MT800 Tandem which was getting regular use until the freehub in the rear wheel siezed. Can’t seem to find a replacement freehub for the Shimano HF-07 hub anywhere, plus the wheels are 10 years old and I want to run a disk brake on the front (already running a Hope V2 on the rear with an Arai-Disk adapter) so I figure time for a new set.

Has anyone got any recommendations? It doesn’t do too much proper off road riding yet (still trying to convince my stoker), but hopefully will do soon, plus combined weight of the crew is 25stone!.

I run Hope Pro2 hubs on my other MTBs and was looking at the Hope Pro2 Evo Tandem Hub with Alex DH19 40h rim. Have read a few bad things re the Hope Tandem hub but think that was the old design. Has anyone used these?

Thanks

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I’d also heard bad rumours about the hope hub. So I went for the JD tandems own brand on the Alex Dh19 rim (40 hole) Comes with brake adaptor.

Its been faultless really, I looked up the bearings and they are the same as the hope’s so only £5 from a bearing supplier near me. Done a fair few miles on it, On and Off road and pleased with it.

Went with a standard pro2 on the front on a mavic rim.

gpsBRM
    Free Member

Thanks for that, might give JD Tandems own brand a go, works out quite a bit less than the Hopes when getting the wheelset.

yesiamtom
    Free Member

I’ve not headed off-road much yet on mine but we have Mavic xm-317s and Deore hubs. Full suspension tandem with a fairly light (11st + 10st) crew weight.

I’m going to give my standard hope pro 2’s with stans a go soon.

tandemonium
    Free Member

Hi, we have run MTB tandems for quite a few years and have quite a few hub problesm, mainly ripping them apart on steep climbs. We have successfully destroyed a White Industries and a Hope (the Hope only lasted three rides!)

We have found two that work well and can handle the loads, Chris King & DT Swiss/Hugi. They both use multi star type arrangements rather than the traditional ratchet and pawl set up and as such can handle much bigger loads seen on tandems.

I do have a spare DT Swiss / Hugi FR 440 36H hub laced into a Mavic EX729 (DH) rim that I am looking to sell. 135mm spacing, QR. Drop me a mail (mail in profile) if you are interested.

gpsBRM
    Free Member

Cheers for the replies. I need 145mm spacing so probaly gonna go for the JD Tandem ones. Can’t quite justify the Chris King ones although the DT Swiss ones look quite good (if I can find a rear one anywhere).

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘MTB Tandem Wheelset, recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.