Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • mtb spd's or road pedals for the fred whitton?
  • lakesrider
    Free Member

soooo then the big day approaches (sunday 😯 )

Now should i keep the road pedals and unwalkable shoes, or do i admit defeat already and swap to the MTB pedals and shoes *just in case* i need to walk hardknott?!

I have ridden up it before on the road bike but not after 100 miles in my legs.

only thing affecting my descision is i’ve never done a huge long ride on spds and some people say the wider platform of road pedals is comfier on your feet? Or is this a load of rubbish?

cynic-al
    Free Member

If you’ve got stiff enough mtn shoes you’ll be fine on spds – that’s what makes teh difference.

njee20
    Free Member

I disagree. I’ve got S-Works MTB and road shoes, and there is a huge difference in the support from the pedals (Keos vs Egg Beaters/SPDs).

I’d use the road ones. You’re not going to be sprinting up. If you really have to get off, you’ll be able to walk in road shoes, you won’t die, and it’s an extra incentive not to get off.

Be a bad time to discover that actually you do get hotspots and numb feet on the road with your MTB shoes/pedals.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Id use the road shoes. Its a sportive afterall, so most of the riders will probably be pointing and laughing, or sneering at you if you wear mtb shoes.

Last year I did it on flat pedals and trainers, I danced and skipped my way up hardknott on purpose, just to piss off the unfit roadies who were tip-toeing up in their road shoes.

druidh
    Free Member

MTB Shoes and something like Shimano A520 or CB Candy pedals are what I use for touring and are easily good enough for 100+ mile road rides if you’re not after “ultimate” efficiency.

But I agree with njee20 – take the road shoes and the thought of walking in them will give you an added incentive to keep riding.

elliptic
    Free Member

I’ve never had a problem doing road miles on SPDs along with decently-stiff race MTB shoes.

I’ll be there on Sunday with A520s which I’ve used for all my FW training this year. But to be honest I barely notice the difference between those and standard SPDs – the only real “advantage” is they look like proper road pedals to a casual glance 😉

{EDIT} By the way lakesrider when are you aiming to start? Might see you there!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Hmmm I guess my mtb shoes are better than yours njee 😛

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘mtb spd's or road pedals for the fred whitton?’ is closed to new replies.