Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Mtb skills course, north east
  • lee170
    Free Member

Thinking of doing a Mtb skills course, had a couple of bad crashes last year and it’s knocked me a bit if I’m honest, I didn’t think it did but I’m now way slower and more wary on techy descents. Recently got a new HT to so getting used to that, but it’s more capable than the bike it replaced.
    Any good companies in the north east, I live in eaglescliffe/Yarm so the closer the better really
    Anyone used chasing trails at Dalby?

andybrad

not used those guys. Look interesting.

I’ve used ed oxley (great rock) at gizburn, trailmotions at gizburn and Woosh at hebden bridge.

If you can travel i would highly recomend woosh over at hebden.

Id also recommend going for a half day or full day 1:1 instead of a group session.

lee170
    Free Member

Yeah I was thinking of 1:1 and also thinking of doing a drops/jumps 1/2 day course. Drops I’m fine but never really been any good at jumping, id like to jump with confidence

jointhedotz
    Free Member

I’ve seen a few people on the Hamsterley Riders FB group rate Endeavour who operate out of Descend @ Hamsterley

http://endeavourcoaching.co.uk/

funkweasel
    Free Member

Endeavour is awesome – I did it a few weeks back. 1:1 and it was amazing. Max is a great teacher and I’m a terrible student.

I’ve also used Chasing Trails and he was very good too, did a 2:1 course with my girlfriend to get her a bit more confident on drops etc, even tiny little ones and she came on leaps and bounds on that day. Was well worth the money, but I got it as a special offer discount.

lee170
    Free Member

Ok cool, that’s pretty close, awesome playground to. Is it just on descend as that’s a bit hairy for me

funkweasel
    Free Member

We started out on the 4x track, just to the side of the first roll in / jump, talking about position on the bike, angle of feet etc, weight distribution… got me doing manuals better and bunny hops properly – still absolutely minute and just about cleared a kerb sized object, but it was a proper bunny hop and I know how to do them now – just need to practice a whole lot more.

Then we went to the side of descend, to practice a bit of drops off things, and pumping and berms… then back to Section 13 to try and learn how to jump a bit better. Made a load of progress there and managed to clear the first few jumps (which usually I fail to do, or never was in control before). Then put that into a bit more practice on the 4x first jump – cleared that nicely… then stopped for lunch I think.

After lunch we went down Section 13/Special K/Brain Freeze – followed Max down, putting my newfound skills into practice and got PRs on everything, by quite a big margin in some cases, then over to Pikes, and down some other stuff that wasn’t Root 666… and finished up with Triple Tranny – loads more PRs there, and covered bits I’d had trouble with in the past.

All in all and amazing day 🙂

funkweasel
    Free Member

He videos most things as you’re doing it, with a cool app that lets you play stuff back in slow motion, and draw lines on so you can see where your body SHOULD be, in relation to where it actually is. Great learning tool, that 🙂

funkweasel
    Free Member

Basically either Endeavour or Chasing Trails would be great, but personally, I find Hamsterley to be more fun, so I’d go with Endeavour.

Stevet1
    Free Member

I’ve also used Chasing Trails and he was very good too,

Is his name Alex?

lee170
    Free Member

That sounds perfect, cheers for the info. Gonna contact them now

lee170
    Free Member

Yeah I agree hamsterley is awesome for riding. Dalby is good but can’t live with hamsterley

funkweasel
    Free Member

Is his name Alex?

Steve, I think.

craig24
    Free Member

Definitely do 1:1 if you can, I’ve done both group sessions and 1:1, although with different guides, the 1:1 stuff allows you to quickly move on if you can master a skill and also allows you to spend longer on weak areas.

lee170
    Free Member

I’m thinking whether all I need is a drops/jumps course and then see how I get on. Never been a good jumper so it will definately be beneficial

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

lee170. How did your ride at Guisborough go ?

lee170
    Free Member

Went well, new sow trail is a bit hairy in places, but good.
    Nomad start is good but closed after crossing the double fire track.
    Found some good trails that I’d never ridden so all in all a good day.
    That’s what led me to doing a mtb course, found myself a bit hesitant on some of the sow trail which wouldn’t of bothered me last year.

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

Ha ha. You sound like me, there’s a few trails around there that I’m marginal on. On some days I can ride them no problem, on other days the sensible part of my brain takes over and I’m on the brakes 😳

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Mtb skills course, north east’ is closed to new replies.