Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Mtb routes Torridon
  • karlp
    Free Member

Hi, a request for route suggestions in Torridon.
    Google not much use other than saying great place for mtb.
    We’re there for 2 days.
    MBR suggests Coulags to Achnashellach route as a classic not to be missed. Is this the case?
    Your suggestions would be appreciated.

Karl.

eddie11
    Free Member

Yes. Also a anticlockwise loop round beinn damh is a good half day

scuttler
    stilltortoise
    Free Member

The Coffin Road from Kenmore to Applecross and back (or the other way round) is a superb piece of “natural” single track and not too big an outing, although I was very lucky with the weather 🙂

This was a superb day out too, finishing with the famous 7km long Annat descent. Let me know if you can’t see it on Strava.

Some pics from my trip on Flickr if you want inspiration. We stayed at Kinlockewe hotel which was great.

Google turns up this old thread which is worth a read http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/applecross-area-route-advice

lowey
    karlp
    Free Member

Thx for very prompt responses.
    Will review.
    Any other suggestions welcome.

legendof1973
    Free Member

Did the ‘Alternative Torridon’ route on Lowey’s link above last year. Amazing descents. Well worth the 30 miles loop. Just take a good few spare tubes, even if your tubeless as the drainage ditches are brutal. Had a few punctures but luckily they sealed up…………after lots of sealant was lost.

As usual, the GoPro doesn’t really show how rough it is.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Just take a good few spare tubes, even if your tubeless as the drainage ditches are brutal.

Good advice. I dinged a rim on one of the many drainage ditches, meaning my tubeless tyre no longer kept air in.

karlp
    Free Member

Thx for recommendations & info above. Much appreciated.
    Think we’re going for the MBR ROUTE & the Lollipop.
    Can anyone send me a link to the gpx file for the Lollipop route?
    Thx Karl.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

No need fir a GPX tbh, you can’t really go wrong on it…

lowey

Karl.. no email in your profile So i put it in my Dropbox..

Download link here :- https://www.dropbox.com/s/iispv91dwah9ecg/Torridon_lollie.gpx?dl=0

Let me know if it doesnt work.

This is the extended loop with the carry up to the Bealach a Choire Ghairbh.

karlp
    Free Member

Lowey, have sent you a PM Thx.

mtbguiding
    Free Member

Hey! I write the MBR routes, and run a few trips there every year, and yes, it’s awesome – World Class IMHO. There’s a few versions of roughly the same thing you can do depending on weather, how fit you’re feeling etc. Bein Damph is also great – like a shorter version of the former really. And the Coffin Road between Kenmore and Applecross is great, as suggested above. It’s definitely better as an out and back – the road is lovely, but seriously tough. You can head South East from Achnashellac too – less techie than the more popular routes but a real feeling of remoteness. I’ve probably got GPXs of most of them if you drop me an email (in profile).

professor_fate
    Free Member

*watching thread with interest, planning an Easter trip…*

mtbguiding
    Free Member

We’re working there at Easter, so maybe a pint in the Torridon? But if you want ideas/GPXs etc, email (I don’t get on here that much!)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Mtb routes Torridon’ is closed to new replies.