Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • MTB Routes South of Oxford on the A34?
  • jekkyl

hello. I’m travelling to Southampton from Stoke in March and I’d like to break the journey up with a mtb ride somewhere south of Oxford. So North Wessex downs area, Newbury, Whitchurch or Marlborough (at a stretch) sort of areas but ideally something as close as possible to the A34. It is an area I have no experience of whatsoever.
    Would like as much altitude as the area has to offer (probably not much) I like out in the wilds and forests. After 2/3 hours of riding for about 15-20 miles or so. If you fancy leading me out all the better, it’ll be Sat 11th march, would be getting there to set off about 11/12 ish. Would need a gpx.
    Many thanks.

br
    Free Member

Get the OS Map for the area where the A34 cross the downs, literally dozens of miles of trails in/around East/West Ilsley.

nickjb
    Free Member

There’s some riding around Watership Down eg .Should get a little height. That said anything around that area will be pretty muddy right now. Special slippery and sticky mud.

weeksy

You don’t need a GPX…

You just need to give me a shout…

i’ll keep you occuppied.

Park in East Ilsley… we’ll ride from there…

I can even give us routes that miss out the majority of the sticky mud.

jekkyl

great reply, thank you weeksy. It’s a date! 🙂
    Is there much tech in the area, rocks n roots n steep stuff?

weeksy

No. I can’t give you much of that i’m afraid fella… It’s Ridgeway territory… That’s as good or bad as it gets round here… I can give you some woods, i can give you some trails… but as for Rocks and Roots… Nope.

jekkyl

Cool. go for speed then, flat out speed is good. Will email you nearer the time.

weeksy

No worries mate… I’ve got plenty of routes locally we can ride, i’m not sure about speed, but i’ll try my best 🙂

faustus

If you want rocks in this area, you have to go and buy some from a garden centre!

lustyd
    Free Member

If you’re traveling from Stoke then Swinley Forest is only just off your path in the grand scheme of things – a couple of junctions along the M4 from the A34 junction, but then when you exit Swinley you could hop on the M3 South which takes you direct to Southampton.

mahalo

if it was me id probably drive down M5/A419/M4 onto A34 rather than M40. Depending on time of day i guess – but going that route would take you right past FlyUp417…

mahalo

also Tidworth Freeride is 15mins down the A303 off the A34 too…

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

If you want rocks in this area, you have to go and buy some from a garden centre

Don’t tell one of my riding buddies who frequents this forum, who’s lovely titanium frame was dented AND pierced by a rogue flint on the Dame Alice descent.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘MTB Routes South of Oxford on the A34?’ is closed to new replies.