• This topic has 5 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by sl80.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • MTB routes out of Caton, Lancs
  • sl80
    Free Member

None biking friends have recently moved to the village of Caton in Lancs and we’ll be going up to visit for a weekend very soon. I know the Lakes and Gisburn are both close by but I was hoping to fit in a ride at first light on a Sunday morning straight from the house.

Does anybody know if there is any riding close by? All I know is it’s on the edge of The Forest of Bowland apart from that I don’t know the area at all. I do have a Garmin that I can load a GPX into if needed.

Thanks for any ideas and suggestions.

stever
    Free Member

The ‘old road’ over Salter Fell is good fun and some wild country though not technical – Lancaster CC used to do it as challenge, some on road bikes. Maybe an out and back on that for a quick ‘sneak out’ ride. You could combine with all the BWs around Dunsop Bridge, Whinfell etc for a Big Day. The trough is a beautiful road but, you know, a road.

sl80
    Free Member

Thanks stever. That’s a good start for me to do some research.

Any other suggestions or links to resources are appreciated.

Santaslittlehelper
    Free Member

I live in Caton and regularly ride the hills around Littledale & Roeburndale. I have a liitle loop that goes up a bridleway at the top of Brookhouse village onto Caton Moor and then back down via the road and access track by the windmills. Approx 10 miles in all.

As stever says the Salter Fell route is ok, but not technical. Good for an xc type blast, out and back.

There are some BW’s around Kirkby Lonsdale which head out towards Casteron & Barbondale.

The best local riding is at Farleton Knott near BUrton in Kendal. There’s a good 2 hour ride around there that i can supply a gpx file for. Its about 9 miles from Caton so could be ridden to and from aswell.

ears
    Free Member

I work in Burton in Kendal, but I’ve not got round to riding Farleton Knott as there are limited BWs on the map. I’d be interested in the gpx file too please

sl80
    Free Member

Thanks all. That’s a few ideas for me to look into a bit more over the weekend. At the moment it’s looking like I’ll take the Hardtail and go and explore the Salter Fell area.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘MTB routes out of Caton, Lancs’ is closed to new replies.