Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • MTB Routes near Preston
  • topgunsteve
    Free Member

Anyone got any GPX routes near Preston? thinking of Longridge fell etc.

My mum lives up that way and thought there maybe some rides not too far from her place.

Cheers

Steve

xiphon
    Free Member

I live in Longridge – give me a shout when you’re up this way. Don’t have any GPS kit, I usually just head out and see where it takes me…

I think Crispo lives just down the road in Grimsargh too.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Another Grimsargh dweller here, Longridge Fell is great for an explore, lots of little paths that you can link together with fireroad climbs.

Very muddy at the moment though. A good route is to start at Hurst Green and ride up the Sandrock bridleway to Crowshaw Farm and then get on the fell at the old quarry. Climb fireroads up to the Trig and then do some exploring! There’s a great route locally known as The Jungle. It starts at Sam’s Viewpoint and takes you right down to Kemple End (top of Birdy Brow).
    Then you’ve got a nice climb back up the “7 Bends” fireroad.

You can probably work out a lot using Google Earth, but spend an afternoon up there and you’ll find most of the rideable stuff. There are usually other riders up there at weekends that will help point you in the right direction.

If you see a strikingly handsome man on an orange Cotic Soul or a white Blur, that’ll be me… 😉

xiphon
    Free Member

Shibboleth – not sure if you saw it mentioned in another thread, but there’s a DH race on the Fell this Sunday.

Very grass roots event!

https://www.facebook.com/events/366056596814633/

(And if you see me up on the fell, on a bright orange Orange Patriot – give us a wave!)

Junkyard
    Free Member

Rivvington is only 30 mins drive away

E-mail me if you want routes round there and has rideable stuff in the wet

globalti
    Free Member

That’s gonna be wet…..

Shibboleth
    Free Member

That sounds fun! I’ve got plans on Sunday, but maybe I’ll get chance to have a drive up and see what’s going on… Hope it goes well! 🙂

tricky-dicky
    Free Member

I’m in Fulwood and looking for similar, anybody ride on a Mon/Wednesday night round here and mind if a slow rider tags along?
    Richard

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

tricky dicky
    Boggies southern chapter ride local to Preston every Wed night at 7pm.
    Check the Bogtrotters website rides list or the facebook group.

<Edit> I’m about a mile down the road from you in Grimsargh </Edit>

tricky-dicky
    Free Member

No can’t see any mention of southern ❓ rides on site or of a Facebook group?

Alphabet

We’ve just moved to Grimsargh. Not been out on the bikes yet other than a spin round the Guild Wheel loop. Bogged down with renovations at the moment so probably won’t bother much until the weather improves but would be interested in local loops.

BenjiM

Does that race have landowner permission?

BenjiM

In fact at £2 per entry I doubt a)landowner permission or b)insurance for racing considering winner takes the pot. I just hope the folks clean up after themselves since the folk using the downhill areas on birdy brow have left a right mess with litter.

fluxhutchinson
    Free Member

So am i right in thinking the racing starts at 1pm?

crispo
    Free Member

Yep i’m based in Grimsargh, so thats 4 of us here now!?

If you want someone to show you round up the fell id be more than happy to come up too and show you round. Bare in mind its pretty wet and muddy at the moment so you might not get it in the best conditions but there still plenty to go at. If you add in the bridleway down to Hurst Green too (as Shibboleth mentioned) then you can start to build the miles in.

Its one of those places that you just need to go up and explore, theres loads of paths and fire roads that you can mix together!

Xiphon – going to ride up there tomorrow so will come see where youre racing tomorrow. Youre on the Bright orange orange yeah?

BenjiM

I’m in Longridge by the way 😀

xiphon
    Free Member

crispo – Either of these (not decided yet)

or

As for those questioning about the clean-up / landowner permission – I understand provided nothing ‘man made’ is build on the fell, the landowners are fine with it. The people organising the race/digging the track have lived and been building tracks on Longridge Fell all their life (now in their 20s). Last time I went racing up there, even the track-tape was removed afterwards… it was spotless.

xiphon
    Free Member

As there are so many of us Longridge/Grimsargh way, who fancies a pint one evening?

Riding to the pub is optional (and probably recommended!!)

tricky-dicky
    Free Member

I’d be up for a pint hoping to ride one night next week if anyone fancies it?
    Richard

xiphon
    Free Member

We could combine riding with several pubs…

daleman
    Free Member

Another fulwood resident would be up for a pub run any time.

grim168
    Free Member

+1

crispo
    Free Member

Im in!

xiphon
    Free Member

So this list is the ‘NE Preston’ branch of STW?

xiphon
    crispo
    grim168
    daleman
    tricky dicky
    BenjiM
    Alphabet
    Shibboleth
    Ecky-Thump
    fluxhutchinson

Anyone else I’ve missed?

fizzer
    Free Member

As for those questioning about the clean-up / landowner permission – I understand provided nothing ‘man made’ is build on the fell, the landowners are fine with it

That will be a no then

Its also utter bollox – where did you get this informatiom?

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Hi, I’m NW of Preston, but work late in the week, so can’t really do mid week rides, but up for doing local routes at the weekend.

crispo
    Free Member

How did the racing go today then!? We saw a couple of lads who were freezing cold and sopping wet!

We went up there and got caked, it really is sloppy up there right now!

So when we going to the pub/riding?

daleman
    Free Member

Can’t be think why any body would ride at longridge fell , moved to preston 15 years ago went once it was like the a 4 mile swamp built on a hill. Never went back only to do the hill on training rides, feel sorry for the downhillers it must have been grim.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

tricky dicky,
    link for you to the facebook group where Wed night southern rides generally get posted:here

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘MTB Routes near Preston’ is closed to new replies.