• This topic has 16 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by cbr9.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • MTB Routes in Stirling
  • steviep
    Free Member

We are staying in Stirling for a few days over xmas, can anyone recommend any MTB routes nearby.
    Many thanks

matt_outandabout

Dumyat is a classic – start at the Allenwater Cafe and work/winch your way up through Mine Woods (Bridge of Allan) and back lanes to Cocksburn reservoir. From there it is a pootle up to top of Dumyat. From summit, pick up the Witches Crag descent then Uni woods, wall to wall, followed by Mine Woods back to start…

Look it all up on https://www.trailforks.com

I would also suggest a jaunt to Comrie Croft if trailcentres are your thing.

What days are you here? A good few Stirling/BoA/Dunblane folk on here and out over Christmas…

moonsaballoon

Dumyat is a good ride but not sure what it’s like at the moment with the path works and the weather . North third is another good route .
    Not far from comrie if you have a car with you and that’s great in pretty much any conditions bar ice

steviep
    Free Member

We are in Stirling 27,28 &29th Dec. We do have a car so travelling is not a problem.

DickBarton

Bloody show-offs…I’m working so won’t manage out, apart from hopefully riding to work via some trails. All local trails are going to be wet and manky, but there are plenty and all very enjoyable.

Enjoy your visit!

poah
    Free Member

Most of comrie has been closed with the recent cold weather. So long as this current heat wave stays most trails will fine to ride. Dunkeld is an hour up the road from Stirling.

gavstorie
    Free Member

within an hour or so….

Dumyat
    Aberfoyle
    Cambusbarron
    Comrie
    Dollar Glen
    Balquidder
    Cathkin Braes
    Carron Valley
    Pitmedden

Just over an hour’s drive will get you to the tweed valley. For a bit of..
    Glentress
    Innerleithen
    Caberston
    Thornielee
    Cademuir
    Gypsy Glen
    Yair

steviep
    Free Member

Have already pencilled in a trip to Glentress. Is Cathkin Braes worth a visit at this time of year?

matt_outandabout

Comrie should be back open – it is a *lot* warmer than last week, and my 1″ of solid grass ice has now all but defrosted.

bearGrease

Dollar Glen

As in Dollar Glen itself?

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

Cathkin is never worth a visit tbh, particularly compared to the other places mentioned on this thread.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Cathkin?

If dogging and dull trails are your thang….

gavstorie
    Free Member

Dollar Glen

As in Dollar Glen itself?[/quote]

Was thinking about Glen Devon

https://www.trailforks.com/region/glen-devon-19711/

hainman
    Free Member

I would consider the trails in the Creiff hydro grounds
    So good Steep techy stuff plus more trail centre esc stuff too
    Really really enjoy riding up there
    Done Balquhidder for the first time last week but was crazy in the snow but keen to get back up again
    Comrie is a belter of a place to ride
    Very techy rocky was n places

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Riding in Glen Devon might be a bit unsustainable in the current conditions. It could do with drying up, but a big freeze might work too.

legend
    Free Member

Aye the high trails in Glen Devon will be a riot at the moment, and the low trails aren’t enough to make a trip worthwhile

To add to the Cathkin feedback, it’s somewhere you might ride of nearby….. and can’t think of anything better to do

cbr9
    Free Member

I’m lucky enough to have alot of the discussed trails on my doorstep, I’ll be off the 28th if you want shown around a Stirling route. Fire me a message if you need any more info too!

I can confirm that the high Glen Devon trails are a bog at the moment, probably not worth the trip unless, like TroutWrestler says, we get a freeze beforehand..

I’d definitely try and get to Dunkeld if you haven’t been, amazing place which is definitely one of my favourites.

Enjoy!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘MTB Routes in Stirling’ is closed to new replies.