Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • MTB Routes from or near Hawes
  • smashvirt
    Free Member

Like the rest of the world no doubt, we are heading up to Yorkshire Friday, there for the week staying in near Hawes, Have MTB and have a Garmin and know there’s plenty of riding does anyone have any decent routes they can share for me to stick on the Garmin or point me in the right direction in websites?? Wouldn’t mind a couple longer ones maybe 50miles and some short 20 milers so have the option

martinhutch

50 milers, eh?

I’ll leave you to pore over maps, but my proposal would be…

Back road to Bainbridge, over Stake allotments, Buckden Rake, Starbotton (optional via Buckden Pike and Walden Road), Old cote Moor, Arncliffe Cote to Street Gate, Langscar gate, Stockdale Lane, back across towards Langcliffe via Victoria Cave (FP), BW to Stainforth, Little Stainforth, N to Crummackdale, BW north at Wharfe, Thieves Moss, Borrins, Cam End, Cam Fell, BW/byway off left side of Ten End, Hawes.

Mixture of fast kms, short stretches on road and a few toughish climbs. Might not exactly be 50, but should be enough, really. 🙂

Alternative is to go over Stake but drop to Thoralby, link BWs over into Nidderdale via Braidly, loop round via Middlesmoor, head over towards Buckden Pike (hard going on BWs) and drop into Starbotton on Walden Road again, but head towards Oughtershaw and either go straight up the road before heading into Hawes via Ten End, or extend it yet further by heading straight ahead over to Horton and back up Cam High Road again.

I’d certainly want a big breakfast before either of those.

smashvirt
    Free Member

ok cool cheers! How east is it to navigate and follow the BW’s? Am I going to be able to plot that on Garmin/ STrava/ something else so it’s the Garmins fault if we get lost?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

This is considered one of the good ones, starting in Sedburgh not far away
    http://www.hitthehills.com/blog/index.php/2011/04/howgills-mountain-biking-route/

Trekster
    smashvirt
    Free Member

Excellent even has a gpx!

smashvirt
    Free Member

That gpsies site is what I was looking for! Must have been googling wrong because it never came up in any of my searches for gps/ gpx files

smashvirt
    Free Member

If I download the hit the hills route and pick it up at the nearest point to where we’re staying will that work or will the garmin have a bitch fit because haven’t gone to the start? I suppose that applies to any route

martinhutch

ok cool cheers! How east is it to navigate and follow the BW’s? Am I going to be able to plot that on Garmin/ STrava/ something else so it’s the Garmins fault if we get lost?

I’m afraid I don’t use a GPS, so it’s old-school mapwork. Most of the BWs mentioned are pretty obvious, but a couple are slightly more sketchy in places.

smashvirt
    Free Member

Ok cheers I’ll try and plot a rough route from your directions so we have something to go by and take the maps too

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘MTB Routes from or near Hawes’ is closed to new replies.