Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • MTB Road trip advice – Luton to Fort William (Lake district/Skye/Torridon?)
  • kiwicraig

I’m visiting the UK for 4 weeks in June and we’re looking to head up to Fort William for the DH World Cup. We’re flying into Luton on the Tuesday so have 4 days to drive to Fort Bill for the Friday night.

We’ll have bikes with us and although my kiwi partner hasn’t ridden in the UK before she’s a component rider and will be fine with red grade stuff. We’ll be riding heaps of trail centres in Wales later in the trip so probably keener for some natural stuff but not adverse to the odd 7stanes if it’s worth it?

Any suggestions on a riding itinerary? I was thinking about breaking up the journey with a nights stopover and a ride in the lake district? Or do we just fang it to Scotland with the aim to ride Skye which has been on my bucket list for ages or even Torridon? Where else is worth stopping on the way up, with or without riding (was talk about a York stop)

Heading back to the family in Wales on the Monday, so could do a cheeky trail centre mission on the way back if we’re not rooted from driving/riding.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

This is normally the advice in the Oz threads but have you seen how far it is?

4-5hrs to the lakes/keswick then another 4-5 to Ft Bill then another 3hrs to Skye.

Get a cheeky flight to Glasgow and ride up that way? Glencoe etc.
    If not make for the lakes and do a couple of days then head up to Ft Bill.

kiwicraig

Did look at flying up but the weekend before we’ll be flying from Luton -> Lyon -> Amsterstdam -> Back to Luton where we’ll have left the car and bikes so didn’t really want the faff of taking the bikes with us and getting a flight up.

Yep, appreciate it’s a long way hence the “how do I break this up” post 🙂 Have always done Wales to Fort Bill in a day (alebit a long un) in the past.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mikewsmith
    Free Member

Lakes makes a good half way point as there is a lot of accommodation and packs the riding in nice and close to the M6. Other options are out round Dunfries for the 7 stanes stuff which gets you 3 trails within an hour of the motorway (opinions will be very divided 😉 )

tmb467
    Free Member

Drive to Kendal / Ambleside on Tue

Ride Wednesday – Nan Bield from Stavely mebbe?

Thursday do Dalbeattie or another Lakes (Borrowdale Bash from Keswick / 4 Passes ) or drive over to Peebles and do Glentress / Innerleithen

Friday up to Fort Bill

Saturday – Laggan in the morning

Sunday – watch racing

Monday drive to Leeds ish and ride from Hebden Bridge in the afternoon

Tuesday drive to Wales and do a trail centre on the way. Llandegla / CyB

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Unless there is some reason you Really Want to go to Skye, I wouldn’t bother, there’s not enough riding to justify the distance in my opinion, others may disagree.

I’d be looking at spending the whole 4 days in the lakes to be honest, I reckon I could spend two weeks riding in the lakes and still not do every ride that’s on my list.

chakaping
    Free Member

Lakes +1

You could schedule in the Tweed Valley too. Amazing riding around Inners and Glentress.

I’d choose Torridon over Skye. Might bump into you up there in June in fact.

Kirroughtree and Mabie are my favourites from the other 7 Stanes – both just really flowy and natural feeling. Bit less challenging than some of the other locations mentioned too if that counts.

ampthill

Assuming you want to ride with a map Navigating then I think the lakes has it

If you want to ride following the arrows whooping in the berms and jumps then do the 7 Stanes

The weather might swing it. If its really wet and cold then I that makes a case for the trail centres. Getting lost in rain and cold in the mist is worth avoiding

kiwicraig

Didn’t expect there to be so much love for the Lakes! Looks like that’s the more sensible option than trying to do Skye or further north. Thanks heaps for all the replies, STW hivemind does it again.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The Lakes is one of the best MTB destinations in the UK, far less midges than Scotland and stuff is closer together/less remote.

https://wordery.com/lake-district-mountain-biking-essential-trails-richard-staton-9781906148232
    This is worth a look for some routes and an idea of where to stay.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Here is what I would do.

Drive up to the Lakes on Tuesday then Ride Nan Beild on the Wednesday- it is close to the motorway and if worked into a loop will suit a red grade rider.

Then drive north to Ben Lomond to ride that on Thursday. A perfect big mountain for that level.of rider with stunning, stunning views and an excellent trail.

Finally I would head to the Devil’s Staircase in Glencoe. Again it is on your way and an excellent bit of trail that’ll be enjoyable for both of you- exciting enough for a very good rider and not so tough that a red grade rider will be pushing.

I’d not bother with the 7 stanes if you are here as a one off or rare trip, they are excellent but there is too much good natural riding to squeeze in. I would, however, heartily recommend driving to Laggan from Fort William on the Saturday morning or Monday and riding the trail centre there. It has the best trails of an trail centre in the UK, although they are short the quality is very high and it’s close to fort bill.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘MTB Road trip advice – Luton to Fort William (Lake district/Skye/Torridon?)’ is closed to new replies.