Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • MTB rides around Bude
  • fenn123
    Free Member

Christmas visits means I am going to be around Bude in Cornwall for a few days. Where can I rude MTB or am I better off taking road bike.

I have seen there is a canal path etc, but really want single track riding.

Thanks.

fenn123
    Free Member

No one?

orena45

Search Farcebook for Department 26 (local MTB group). They should be able to help out

Andy_Sweet
    Free Member

Bugger all MTB riding, although someone will be along in a minute to suggest riding the coast footpath….

Take the road bike. It’s lumpy round there tho…….

jam-bo

Take a road bike and do the coastal road south towards boscastle.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Big road climbs, especially the road out of Millook!

Dept 26 very accommodating….but very fit!

prawny

Not a million miles from lahndyrock there. Quite far mind but it’s a nice little centre. Don’t know about any off piste.

g5604
    Free Member

Less than a hour from cardinham woods

manvstarmac

I live in Cornwall and work in Hampshire and the latter has many more opportunities for riding off road. Where Cornwall has tiny lane joining single houses, or three lanes without any houses that seem to go to and from nowhere, Hampshire has a big field with a track through it or a bridleway alongside it.

There are bits of bridleway and byway, but you work hard with an OS map to join them into a route, or pinch the odd bit of footpath early in the morning or on a night ride (but many of these mean hopping over a kissing gate or stile at every field boundary).

You can ride the lanes on an mtb and will meet little traffic and get some great views. You’ll also get a good workout as my normal rides here are 50% hillier here than Hants. Many of the lanes will be muddy and potholed, but they’re not swooping singletrack and personally I find an mtb the wrong tool for tarmac riding, even when some of the hills suit an mtb’s gear ratios!

You’ll probably pass Haldon Forest, near Exeter, on your way down and, as has been mentioned, Cardinham and Lanhydrock are about an hour away if you want fun, fairly easy, trail centres with parking and a cafe.

If you want some downhill and will pedal back up then Gawton and Tamar Trails centres are also about an hour away. Both need online payment as a guest. I’ve ridden Gawtons HSD on both a hardtail and FS and had more fun on the latter. I’ve also survived down Proper Job, but need more training and longer suspension to really do any of the others any justice.

You’re 45 mins from Okehampton which gives you access to the northern section of Dartmoor. Be aware how exposed you are on the moor at this time of year and dress accordingly.

Hope you do manage to get out and enjoy the area whatever you decide. The coastal path is spectacular, so if you can bear to bring boots instead of bikes, you might be making the best use of the area.

I’ll now go and was my mouth out with soap for suggesting that on STW

jakehinton
    Free Member

Tavistock woods (and gawton) are fun and only hour away. Lustleigh cleave on dartmoor well worth a look too, once agaon about an hours drive

fenn123
    Free Member

Thanks for replies. Are any of the places stand out better than others? Just an hr drive each way could end of being most of the day.

fenn123
    Free Member

Any links to strava routes would be great too.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Some mad muddy green lanes around the back of Bude just off the Atlantic Highway (1st left before the Marhamchurch turn opposite Bude Business Park. No one really minds you doing the coastal path Between Bude and Widemouth. I usually head out on the lanes north of Duckpool and then into the combes off towards Welcombe – down and up through Marsland is good really steep and rocky, not a lot around in general though, patchy and not much flow.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘MTB rides around Bude’ is closed to new replies.