Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 100 total)
  • MTB Posers!
  • thomthumb
    Free Member

went to gylncorrig once – when we got there group of mates (all wioth nicolais incidentally) were faffing. we went off rode a loop – they were still there faffing and 'appreciating' each others bikes rather loudly.

strange. but very poserish. 🙄

juan
    Free Member

Aren't people who clean their bike back to showroom condition after each ride just a bit anal (no offence)?

Or they just have the bike living with them in their room in a shared house?

DT78
    Free Member

Must admit I do like having nice kit – does that make me a poser?

I'd did feel a bit of a moron once riding through lyndhurst a few years back on my SC Nomad and drawing a few grumbles of 'tw*t' from another group of riders having a beer by the masserati garage.

However to my defence in those days I only had the one bike so I got the best possible all rounder I could…

Most of this comes down to bike envy me thinks.

Now those guys wearing massive neck braces but no shinguards/body armour and sometimes no helmet…now that is posing….

jojoA1
    Free Member

If people can afford the kit and their kids aren't going hungry then good luck to them.

What about if they aren't going hungry but have no shoes…?

I think posers are people who have posh kit but stand around showing it off and mouth off about themselves and their kit more than they ride.
    Having posh kit and being crap but thinking and acting like you're fab is also poserish.

Having the best kit you can afford and being a bit crap is not posing it's being lucky enough to have a lot of disposable income.

Gingerbloke
    Free Member

ChatsworthMusters – Member
    This must surely count.

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/stickers-for-xtr-m965-wheels-where-do-i-get-them

I saw that and thought the same, however one mans bling this year is another mans bargain next…….

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

To be fair he may be looking to sell the wheels and they will be more saleable if they look good and fully stickered up.

GlenMore
    Free Member

jojoA1 – Member

Having the best kit you can afford and being a bit crap is not posing it's being lucky enough to have a lot of disposable income.

Or the ability to buy at trade….

IdleJon

GW – Member
    dunno what previous post you're referring to but I pretty much always know my tyre pressures (and can tell fairly quickly while riding when they're out by around 5psi or more :?)

Only to 5 psi? If you were a serious rider, you'd know to the fraction of a psi. Personally I take a barometric reading before each ride, calibrate the pump and adjust psi depending on the altitude I'm likely to be riding at. Ground conditions, pah!

DT78 – Member
    I'd did feel a bit of a moron once riding through lyndhurst a few years back on my SC Nomad and drawing a few grumbles of 'tw*t' from another group of riders having a beer by the masserati garage.

That says more about the blokes having a beer than it does about you or your kit DT78.

belgianbob

I know a few…
    SC Blur LT or Yeti owners who can't wash or maintain a bike, can't adjust gear cables or mend a puncture and stop to 'pad up' at the top of every slight descent, £300 Hope lights in the boot of the car cos they only went night riding once (prefering the pub instead.)

I still beat them up, and often down, the hill on my peasant alu hardtail with 'only' 100mm of fork travel.

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Tyre pressures a funny one, I can't really say if I notice 5psi difference cos my 2 pumps aren't that accurate – one shows 36psi at the same time as another one registers a touch over 40psi, so no idea what I'm riding with.

MattPhotos
    Free Member

For me a poser is someone who spends time doing anything to get people to look at them (hence posing). Its therefore regardless of kit.
    Overtaking and bragging about it – posing
    Buying expensive kit because you think it looks better – posing
    Riding whatever kit you have and enjoying it – not posing
    Its what you do with it that counts!

singletrackhor
    Free Member

funny thread. takes all sorts, some people like buying stuff and the mechanical side of things. 🙂

used to work in brick lane years ago and used to see 2-3k mtbs outside offices that had no mud on em.

RepacK
    Free Member

There is a couple of folk on here who seriously need to chill..

Getting twisted cos some guy is doing a track-stand in the car-park? WTF? Your just jealous cos you cant do it! Personally I see someone pulling off a good track-stand I think "nice one".

Cleaning your bike is posing?? Huh??? No its just called looking after your kite so it doesnt fall to pieces..After all you have just spent say £1k (if not a lot more judging by some of the bikes Ive seen on here) on your bike & you cant be arsed to look after it? Well, you must have a healthy bank balance if you can afford to be that blase you kit..& stop bitching when yr sh1t doesnt work, or your forks are fecked etc. Why? Cos you dont service/clean your bike..GRRRRR..

Rant over.. :mrgreen:

Kit
    Free Member

I'm a poser. So what? I think I'm great! 😀

GW
    Free Member

daveb – Member
    I like to change my HT frame every now and again for no reason other than to try something new (usually every 6 months or so and always second hand). I like having shiny low weight kit and for this I am "a poser" so be it – keeps me happy when I am out riding and i ride quite a bit more than some of the people who make certain "comments" about changing my bikes too much

very subtle 😆

willy waving in "certain" company will only leave you feeling inadequate! thought you'd learned that a long time ago. 😕

😉

Dirtynap
    Free Member

I believe the phase is "All the gear and no idea"

I don't know any but I have seen a few.

I do know a fair few with really old stuff that looks like junk but they are all awesome on a bike.

juan
    Free Member

actually i think I won the stw poser award…

Picture courtesy of peter'magic shutter'poddy.

Kit
    Free Member

I know who looks the most camp 😉

kamina
    Free Member

I'm probably a poser by your definition. I don't get to go out and ride very much, but still have nice gear (just building up a ridiculously expensive mountainbike even though I would probably manage fine with a rigid singlespeed on one).

However building up a nice bike is my evening joy after the kids go to bed and my wife starts watching soap operas.

And I do ride when I can, even if it means just going for one two hour ride a month.

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 100 total)

The topic ‘MTB Posers!’ is closed to new replies.