Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • MTB overshoes
  • muddydwarf
    Free Member

Are they are a good idea? Are there any MTB-specific ones are are they purely a roadie thing?

I have an old set of Shimano MW101’s but i find them bloody cold to be honest and i’ve a set of AM 44 shoes that i find really comfy and fairly warm so was wondering if i could do the overshoe thing.

fr0sty
    Free Member

There is nothing stopping you doing ANYTHING.

Taff
    Free Member

I have had a set of endura mt500’s for a fair few years. Seem pretty good to me

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Well no, nowt stopping me, but was wondering how long they last on MTB shoes given that we do a fair bit more walking over rocks than the average roadie!

Taff
    Free Member

I tend not to walk on mine but the mt500 do have reinforced toes and cut outs for the rear show grips. Mine are well used but I think you need to be careful on your shoes size and overshoes size. Some people have said that their fat feet have caused the overshoes to rip

Taff
    Free Member

I tend not to walk on mine but the mt500 do have reinforced toes and cut outs for the rear show grips. Mine are well used but I think you need to be careful on your shoes size and overshoes size. Some people have said that their fat feet have caused the overshoes to rip

c_klein87

They are good but don’t last long, I’ve just got the zip less endura version and the toe area has worn through, winter boots are a better investment IMHO

M6TTF
    Free Member

Got some MT500s on their 3rd winter, and they’re pretty knackered underneath now from walking on rocks but good value IMO

takisawa2

Had few Aldi ones, even those work well. Just about to get some Endura ones. Wouldn’t go into Winter without them.

br
    Free Member

Well no, nowt stopping me, but was wondering how long they last on MTB shoes given that we do a fair bit more walking over rocks than the average roadie!

Based on the push to 1×10 gearing…

The Endura’s work well, but will look tatty – just ignore their looks.

JoeG
    Free Member

One thing to consider is the PITA factor. Winter shoes/boots may be a little harder to put on that regular MTB shoes, but some overshoes/shoe covers can be a real pain to put on.

Bazz

Planet X/On-one are stocking these Primal wear ones,

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/c/q/clothing/overshoes

I’ve been using these on my mtb and they pretty good so far, good re-enforced toe area. You do need to size up though to get them over mtb shoes.

float
    Free Member

i bloody love overshoes.

💡 if you dont do much walking theyll last for ages, if you take your bike for a walk, they probably wont last very long 🙂

im using the bbb heavy duty ones. coming in to their second winter and, yeah, i think theyre great.

simmy
    Free Member

Are we talking about overshoes for clip ins or flats ?

I’m sick of wet feet but just have visions of my Vaults ripping them apart.

bigyinn
    Free Member

I’ve had overshoes and winter boots. Prefer the boots for the minimal faffing compared to overshoes.
    Overshoes work well, keep the spray and wind off your shoes and keep your feet warmer, but they can require readjustment if you have to trudge through mud and grot. Plus water can still soak through the bottom of your shoes.

stumpy01

Try them. See how you get on. Some people like them, some don’t. I think they are great. They keep your feet warm & dry & yes they are a bit of a pain to put on, but when you take them off your shoes are still nice & clean which is always a bonus!
    Mine are on their third or fourth winter but I ride predominantly on sandy, rooty soil rather than rock.

Overshoes work and are cheaper than winter boots. They flap off your toes every so often which can be a pain.

Winter boots are better in all but one aspect, when you have finished your ride you just pull off your overshoes leaving your shoes clean* and then just chuck the overshoes in the wash as apposed to having to clean your shoes/boots

*apart from the bottoms which are cleaned by letting the mud dry and then banging together

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Craft over shoes are great and don’t have road specific soles so work with MTB shoes.

tang
    Free Member

How’s the sizing on the craft ones shep?

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Smallish, I have XL for 45eur specialized shoes.

tang
    Free Member

Thanks shep

tomhoward

Are folk wearing waterproof socks as well or are the overshoes enough to keep my tootsies dry?

float
    Free Member

i dont wear waterproof socks. in the depths of winter i change to wool socks just in case the water gets through, but it rarely does (from the top at least, need to be carefull about stepping in puddles)

Bazz

Even waterproof socks (sealskinz) don’t keep your feet totally dry, rain runs down your legs and in the top of the sock.

Overshoes do keep your feet warm though, i’d opt for wet and warm over dry and cold if dry and warm wasn’t available, which it rarely is in this country!

philfive
    Free Member

Any overshoes for people using flats?

tinsy
    Free Member

Don’t buy overshoes with zips, velcro is better.. 2 secs to get on and off, nice clean warm feet. (but probably not that dry)

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘MTB overshoes’ is closed to new replies.