Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • MTB on plane – Specifically Emirates and BA
  • andykentos
    Free Member

Hi

Advice needed please. Booked on emirates to NZ and was going to organise a bike out there but a friend told me that emirates will take a bike as long as it is properly packed and under 23kg no problem, no need to book sporting goods. Does anyone have any experience of this?

Also got to fly BA back up to Edinburgh, booked the flights but cant find anywhere to find sporting goods to my flight, do i just need to book another bag on the plane?

Thanks again

beej

BA – just book as another bag, up to 23kg.

tomhoward

Might sound ridiculous at first, and not sure of the economies on Emirates. But if you upgrade to business on BA you get 3 checked bags up to 32kg, no questions asked (within the law, obvs) its not that much more than cattle plus the cost of an extra bag. (£120 each way iirc on BA)

Plus, you get to go business…

scaredypants

BA page here – surely Emirates will have a similar page

Sporting goods on British Airways

Many types of sports equipment can be carried as part of (but not in addition to) your free checked baggage allowance or as part of an additional purchased allowance if required. We’ll even accept some types of equipment over our standard checked baggage size.

We can only accept sporting equipment if it is packed appropriately (to avoid damage) and meets the given size and weight restrictions. Items over 23kg may incur a heavy bag charge. See our advice below for details of specific types of equipment.

Some sporting equipment is restricted for safety and security reasons. If your equipment isn’t listed below please contact us to find out if it can be carried.

What’s my free checked baggage allowance?

Carrying extra baggage

Contact us to discuss your requirements
    Show all|Hide all
    collapsed
    show
    Bikes

We will accept non-motorised bicycles up to 190cm (75in) in length, provided they are packed in a recognised bicycle bag.

Please ensure that you:

pack the bike in a protective case or bag
    remove the pedals or fix them inwards
    fix the handlebars sideways
    deflate the tyres to reduce the risk of damage

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘MTB on plane – Specifically Emirates and BA’ is closed to new replies.