Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • MTB – Middle of Leeds
  • DavidB
    Free Member

Staying in Leeds for 2 nights next week slap bang in city centre. Is it worth shoving the bike in the car for a night ride? Don't really want to drive out of town as the traffic seems a nightmare 5-6pm. So looking for some off road or canal path action that is not too far and not too hard to navigate.

Failing that might head to the climbing wall, anyone know if it is any good?

Chew
    Free Member

If you want to ride from the centre of Leeds, there isnt too much that can be done locally. Most of the good stuff is north of Bradford/Otley so you'll need the car.

Best bet is to ride up the Otley road (race the cars) up to Golden Acre park, and then you can follow the Meanwood trail back into town.

The trail is ok, but if the weather stays as it is, its probably going to be too muddy.

As for climbing there are 3 good places in Leeds;
    The Leeds Wall – Climbing and bouldering wall 2 miles from the centre.
    City Block – just bouldering 1 mile from the centre
    Depot – just bouldering 5 miles from the centre. worth the extra distance

Gladly show you around.

CHB

Head out of leeds along the canal eastwards. Do a loop around leeds country park near Rothwell/woodlesford. Take the route through Temple Newsham on the way back. If its dry (which it won't be) I would head up through meanwood towards Otley.

myfatherwasawolf
    Free Member

From the centre of Leeds you need to get onto the Meanwood Ridge (just to the north near Hyde Park area). Excellent riding within 1/2 mile of the centre. I can ride to Otley from Leeds nearly entirely offroad – great technical singletrack just head north – although muddy at this time of year. That said I wouldn't bother unless you can find a local guide – it's tricky to find the good stuff without 'the knowledge'. As for climbing, if it's dry and you have a car head to Almscliff – it's exposed so dries very quick. The best gritstone around. Final option, again requiring a car unless you fancy the ride, Stainburn is good for a few hours of technical riding/potential death.

DavidB
    Free Member

Chew, interested in the Depot. Just got back into climbing and need to keep it up twice a week to keep strength. Leading up to 5c atm so you probably don't want to climb with me if you're any good!

Thanks for the route suggestions. I'm going to bung lights and bike in and see what I find.

ton

mate, i will meet you up for a night ride if you fancy.
    we can do a nice little circuit from the city center.

CHB

Take Ton up on this offer, he knows leeds well!
    I would be out too, but my son has Brigshaw Highschool "Oliver" production all of next week. Sadly no riding next week, but shed loads of ferrying urchins and family ;-(

Chew
    Free Member

Ton if you you want to do something from the city centre that would be great.

DavidB
    Free Member

ton.
    I will be in Park Lane area (near the Uni) Wednesday eve. Does that work. Would be good to have some company.

ton

wednesday is good.
    i work near the prison so can just ride down.
    we can meet at city square.
    what time suits??
    Chew, you up for it.

DavidB
    Free Member

I should be able to get down there for 6pm. Drop me an email and I'll send you my moby number.

Chew
    Free Member

Ton Wednesday is good with me.

For me 6:30 at a push. Have to get back from Wakefield, and dont finish until 5:30.

You'll recognise me from the Lakes and Ogden rides.

Also did a good route on he road bike today, depending which part of Leeds you live. Centre – Chappel Allerton – Alwoodley – Bramthorpe – Otley – back road to Ilkley – climb up Ilkley moor – across and down to Shipley – Caverley – Kirkstall – home

Chew
    Free Member

Sod it, i'll go in early and leave early to be out for 6:00

DavidB
    Free Member

6.30's fine with me Chew, in fact, it's better

ton

6.30 city square outside loch fynne resteraunt.

Chew
    Free Member

ok see you there.

DavidB
    Free Member

Wilko.

Ps. what tyres for Leeds City Centre riding….

ton

ones with a bit of grip

DavidB
    Free Member

Might be fecked then as I just packed the bike with a mud mad on the back and conti something-a-bit-sketchy on the front

ton

you will be fine.
    nothing too muddy.

DavidB
    Free Member

Right hope you boys still on for this as I am carbon loading in the frog and newt in preparation

DavidB
    Free Member

Carbo loading even

ton

6.30 look out for the big bloke.
    we can go for a pint in the palace after. a proper boozer.

DavidB
    Free Member

Great ride last night fellas. Ton, I'm on the case with the shoes as soon as I hear I'll get back to you.
    Dave

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘MTB – Middle of Leeds’ is closed to new replies.