Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • MTB M5 between Bristol and Stroud
  • thebatesbristol
    Free Member

hi all,

I’m just about to take a new job in Stroud and will be commuting from Bristol. For those nice evenings when I want to put my bike in car, where would you go for a ride? The landscape is pretty beautiful so I assume there are the odd trail/bridal way to pick up?

Thanks

Milkie
    Free Member

I would suggest Fly 417, but thats 20 mins North of Stroud. North Nibley is worth checking out, there is a STW thread here.

IHN

There’s tonnes from Stroud itself, qwerty/peteimpreza and others from here should be able to help.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    qwerty
    Free Member

Your best bet would be to ride straight from work. Strouds hills are home to some great trails if you know where to look, they can become muddy though so time your ride. Email me when your ready and i’ll show you round.

Try and get an entry to Heaven Of The South, it covers a lot of riding from Dursley / Wooton area.

If you take the canal from Stroud you can pick up The Fosseway from Kemble that runs down to the M4 and then wing it home from there.

Black 8 Bikes @ Nailsworth do a Wednesday evening ride – speak to Luke.

Noahs in Brimscome do a shop ride every Saturday @ 9:30 – speak to Adam.

Garlics coming alive at present, bluebells won’t be far behind.

[/url]2016-05-04_04-25-14 by martinddd, on Flickr[/img]

[/url]2016-05-04_04-25-36 by martinddd, on Flickr[/img]

[/url]Woodchester by martinddd, on Flickr[/img]

[/url]Coaley Peak by martinddd, on Flickr[/img]

[/url]Misty woodland trail by martinddd, on Flickr[/img]

IHN

Told ya 🙂

thebatesbristol
    Free Member

Thanks all, this seems great.

I’m more XC/trail than uplift and like the beauty of the hills so some of these pics have definitely taken the sting out of the idea of commuting.

Incidentally the role is at Ecotricity so if anyone works there, please get in touch.

Querty, thanks for the info. A wednesday nighter sounds great.

monkeyboyjc

I moved to Stroud (also from Bristol for work) 4 years ago, I’ve left that job and now own / run a village shop so I’m permanently based here.

Cranham Woods is just north as is Painswick Beacon theres some nice trails (more technical natural) around there. I’d be happy to show you about one evening if you like.
    There is alot around Stroud itself, as qwerty said, Noah’s do regular Saturday morning rides which are good for getting your bearings. But the ‘good stuff’ needs linking together with some bridal ways and a little Road etc.

Just be prepared for some climbing as Stroud is in the middle/base of the five valleys so there are some pretty steep ups which I was certainly not prepared for (although I thought I was).

My regular weekend route is around 16-20miles and can be around 80% off road.

Ecotricity seem to have a fair bit of expansion at the moment…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘MTB M5 between Bristol and Stroud’ is closed to new replies.