Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • MTB LEADER REQUIRED _ must be military….
  • markcdo
    Free Member

Hi All,

Desperately seeking an in-date MTB leader, with extensive experience, to assist in leading 10 young ghurka soldiers on an epic down the Pyrenees, end of July.

Full details on request, must be available last 2 weeks of July,

cost, a mere £300 !!!!!

enquiries to markdkb2000@yahoo.co.uk or on here
    Thanks

user-removed
    Free Member

Do you mean, “Pay”, rather than “cost”? 😀

crush83
    Free Member

Damm it, missed out on a mbl course the other month. Would have been up for this.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Duffer
    Free Member

July? Why the urgency? It’s only a 5-day course up at Grantown-on-Spey. There was i DIN released about it recently. If it’d help, i can dig it for you…?

I’d say you’ve got plenty of time to get someone Q’d.

Dogsby

Have you have you tried the ACU Facebook page?

TooTall
    Free Member

I’d suggest going direct to the cycling committees of each of the Services and get them to put it around their people.

It does sound one hell of an ‘interesting’ lead.

matt_outandabout

Do you mean, “Pay”, rather than “cost”?

Aye, he seems to want someone who has spent hundreds on a professional qualification, have spent thousands on a bike, spent hundreds on insurance, spent years gaining experience and qualification – and only another £300 on top to take on the responsibility and stress of leading a trip.

Maybe every job should pay employer to work.

Duffer
    Free Member

spent hundreds on a professional qualification…spent hundreds on insurance

The Military will pay for the qualifications, and exercising personnel are classed as “on duty”, so no insurance is required.

Mintman
    Free Member

The RNRMCA has a website & might be able to help. I’m limited to 600m above sea level so can’t help (although sounds fun).

richmtbguru
    Free Member

Could be a job for me this…however, I didnt do all my training and gain all my qualifications to pay someone to let me guide them down a mountain! 😐

coopersport1
    Free Member

I did do all my training, courtesy of her majesty and think 2 weeks riding in the Pyrenees whilst being paid on duty for £300 sounds like a steal and beats sitting behind my desk so I’ve emailed you.

mu3266
    Free Member

Mark, I’m a serving Bootneck & I got the qualification in May last year from NOCG. Would say I’m a pretty competent MTBer. How much support will any potential leader have. Is it a solo lead or will there be a few of us?

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Most qualifications will only allow you to lead 8 people, so you might need to find 2 MTB leaders.

TooTall
    Free Member

Maybe every job should pay employer to work.

Not the same thing at all.

markcdo
    Free Member

Folks, thanks for the input, cooopersport1 and mu3266, I will be in touch with a load more infomation, mu3266 can you drop me an e-mail at markdkb2000@yahoo.co.uk .

Thanks.

As for hundreds on a qual? no, it was free, thousands on a bike? no one made you, hundreds on insurance? no, none required – I think £300 to spend 2 weeks in the Pyrenees is pretty awseome, if it all sounds stressful, you probably aren’t up to the job….

meehaja
    Free Member

Touche!

mrlebowski
    Free Member

I think £300 to spend 2 weeks in the Pyrenees is pretty awseome, if it all sounds stressful, you probably aren’t up to the job….

It doesn’t matter how you slice it – youre still asking someone to pay to work.

hora
    Free Member

Sounds awesome if you are currently serving and can be released for the two weeks IMO.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I think £300 to spend 2 weeks working in the Pyrenees is pretty awseome, if it all sounds stressful, you probably aren’t up to the job….

FTFY.

I worked as a guide for three years, including leading some military types. While they’re normally very capable and a great craic, it’s still working. 😉

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Also:

As for hundreds on a qual? no, it was free…

No it wasn’t. The government, hence us, paid for it. I’m not resentful, but please don’t think of it as ‘free’.

hundreds on insurance? no, none required

Again, it’s paid for by all of us as your employer has organised it.

I’m not having a go, but I would like you to realise that calling these things ‘free’ devalues them for us who have paid and used up precious free time to gain them.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Final thing: I know of some guys in 1 Sqdn RAF Regt. who are qualified if you get no luck on here.

Whether they’ll want to pay £300 for the pleasure of two weeks away from their families is a different question. 😉

Sui
    Free Member

Jonny G wont be paying for AT so why would a guide have to? Maybe the best way to be entice people on this is to be economical with the truth (much like the Army already is), and say “Need to fill spaces on ace bike holiday in Pyranees, will only cost 300 beer tokens, need a leaders qual though”…

working with the little people is all fair an well, but they can be hard work if not kept under control, so paying for the privilage of this wont appeal..

dantsw13

Recently retired from the RAF. Time away on expeds is a real bonus of the military. Many people pick up qualifications for sports they like, in the full knowledge it will make them attractive to exped leaders, and give them more time fulfilling their hobbies on company time. Please note, this will be duty time, not leave. Expeds during leave is strictly forbidden.

This request is pretty standard from my time in. People with qualifications often get subsidised, rarely free, never paid in the military, in my experience.

Whoever goes, have a great time!!

seosamh77
    Free Member

surely someone in the army should be able to nagivate their own way out of the alps? never mind a group of 10, why do they need guiding?

scruff
    Free Member

Perhaps Nepal only has waymarked riding?

matt_outandabout

Yes, but the Pyrenees have to have H&S applied…

Alpha1653

Mark, just sent you an email. I’m ex QGS & MIAS L2 and might have a few contacts for you to try.

Alpha1653

Sui: could you be any more patronising? Got any experience of working with Gurkhas?

parkesie
    Free Member

If I wasn’t on tour I’d be all over this £300 to spend 2 weeks doing something I love while still getting paid for the day job. It’s less the guiding that you’d be needed for and more the skills instruction on riding and maintaining the bikes so long as you know where your going you can leave a lot of the navigation to the group when taking soldiers out occasionally stepping in to stop them riding off a cliff .

hora
    Free Member

First lesson, put away those bloody knifes and both hands on the bars please.

wrecker
    Free Member

It doesn’t matter how you slice it – youre still asking someone to pay to work.

No he’s not. They will be paid for their time by HMG. The pay depends on their rank etc.

Jonny G wont be paying for AT so why would a guide have to?

Most AT in nice places requires some finance by the individuals.

andyl
    Free Member

why do threads like this have to be dragged to new lows?

Sounds an awesome trip. Who cares if you have to do a bit of ‘work’ to get the trip for £300. It’s not like it’s going to be like guiding a bunch of whiny civilians with more money than skills.

tarquin
    Free Member

If someone said to me I could go riding for 2 weeks for peanuts cost while being paid by my employer I’d be all over it like a fat kid and a cup cake…!

RayMazey
    Free Member

Just depends what will be required. To group manange/ risk assess / coach and at the same time making sure everyone is having a good time while keeping them safe, Is by no means an easy task.

If you are just going along for the ride (seems this is doubtful)then of course, this would be a good gig.

Sui
    Free Member

Alpha – yes a fex ex’s (with lessons) and a tour thanks. Whilst the officer class (and NCO’s) are very good, intelligent chaps, the young ones are a nightmare to handle – ever seen them start brewing up on a hexy on the back of a 4tonner?

santacruzsi
    Free Member

Markcdo – Try the Army Mountaineering Association; they reguarly put out requests for ML’s etc for Mountaineering Trips / Climbing and there may be some people who also have a MTBL Qual who can assist.

http://www.armymountaineer.org.uk/membership/membership.html

Sorry I cant help anymore!

Any to the others, as stated yes you may have to pay £300 to go on the trip but generally you’ll get your rank pay X 5 days (for example!), accomodation, food etc. Still a bargain in my book! Good luck

Alpha1653

Sui – I’ve not seen someone brew up in the back of a 4 tonner before, that’s pretty dense! Sounds like we’ve had very different experiences – I had a Sqn working for me for about 2 years including a tour etc etc and have only good things to say about them. That said, I’ve just finished a training job instructing Brit recruits and some of the youngsters I’ve seen are complete spanners!

Sui
    Free Member

you get them everywhere unfortunately… (spanners that is) there is also a story about the same thing happeing in a herc, though i’m not so sure that’s a bit “folk law’ry”

anyway back on the topic, if it’s during MOD time then i don’t see a real problem with the subsidy, i appreciate AT has been restricted massivly over the last 7 years or more, so the buckshee trips away with bikes is not exactly “army orientated”.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

No he’s not. They will be paid for their time by HMG. The pay depends on their rank etc

cost, a mere £300 !!!!!

Not how it sounds to me, unless he’s changed things..

wrecker
    Free Member

Not how it sounds to me, unless he’s changed things..

Well, it won’t be instead of leave and they will be paid at their normal daily rate. Unless I’m horribly out of date, they’ll also get subsistence allowance etc.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘MTB LEADER REQUIRED _ must be military….’ is closed to new replies.