Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • mtb leader
  • jedi

this weekend i did my m.i.a.s mtb leader course 🙂

get in

convert

what level? I did my level 3 a few years ago so I could take the sprogs from school around the local woods. Might be fun to have the level 4. With a ML (mountain leader) cert as well you can lead in nice places too!

jedi

level 2.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    neil853
    Free Member

i’ve done the level 2 as well, who’d you do it with?

jedi

i did level 1 and 2 with mtb yorkshire in osmotherley

ji
    Free Member

How long does it take, and how much does it cost?

Oh and congrats! 🙂

jedi

cost 250 and took 2 days

neil853
    Free Member

i did it with mtb instruction of bolton, good course i enjoyed it. what are you going to do with yours?

jedi

i want to offer mtb skills coaching.
    am also doing ctc skills qualification and national standards award.

glenp
    Free Member

Hi Jedi – pleased to see you’ve gone for the CTC quali. Where are you doing the course?

neil853
    Free Member

I’d like to get involved with something similar? but maybe act as a second leader as i can’t commit to every weekend just yet beacause of my job (yawn).

jedi

dunno yet. spoke to ian warby.he put me down for course in sept but am meeting him to discuss other things as i have trail building skills etc…so he wants to meet up

convert

Are there trail building couorses per se? I’d be interesting in putting a course around the school grounds but know how to make it last must be a skillful task.

glenp
    Free Member

I’m sure you’ll get on with Ian – be warned, he sure can talk!

Our paths may well cross – the instructor courses for the south are often run down here in Surrey Hills. Good luck with your venture.

glenp
    Free Member

Convert – one way of achieving that would be to get someone like Ian as a consultant. He can give you a general grounding and point you in the right direction on lots of stuff like insurance, funding etc.

jedi

meeting ian at herts shore to discuss things in a few weekss time

glenp
    Free Member

I was trail building with Richard (allbikedup.com) last night – the September instructor course is penciled-in for Llandegla apparently. I think Richard is running it with Bob (Llandegla).

jedi

the skills instructor course?

glenp
    Free Member

Yes, skills instructor course. Its the one that I’ve done (as have all the other instructor/guides that work for us) – Richard ran one recently down here in Surrey Hills, and apparently he is traveling up to Llandegla to do the September one with Bob (who is also highly experienced).

When I did mine it was run at Llandegla, as was the REC First Aid course. Top blokes up there and the centre is a very good facility for this kind of thing.

stevomcd
    Free Member

glen – say hi to Richard and tell him to get himself out here! 8)

glenp
    Free Member

Hi Steve – are you the place Richard went snowboarding to this season just gone?

Sounded fab, and we have discussed several times trying to get out and have ourselves some fun. Bloody year is flying by though, and the mountain biking is super busy. Richard’s wife has also had baby since then – God knows how he managed to get away with going skiing!

stevomcd
    Free Member

Hi Glen,

Yeah, that’s me! Tell him congrats on the baby. Still got some space left for late summer, so give me a shout if you can pull things together.

Stevo

glenp
    Free Member

Hmm – was just reading your September details. I’m doing an evening ride with him this week – maybe we can do some planning.

neil853
    Free Member

does anyone know anyone who wants some help with skills coaching/leading? i’m based in the north west and would like to volunteer my time? can’t do every weekend obviously but i’d like to get some experience when it suited both parties?

jedi

what does the skills instructor course involve?basic skills instructing?

woodsman
    Free Member

glenp, do you have any details for the instructor course based at the Surrey Hills? I’ve been thinking about doing something like that for some time, and that’s practically on my doorstep. 🙂

glenp
    Free Member

No doubt Ian will expound at length, but just to give you some of the important points.

It isn’t basic as such, because the same skills instruction system could be (and is) used for total novice and world cup downhiller alike. Actually, when some very well know world cup riders have donw the course they learn it in exactly the same way. The system breaks riding down into component physical parts (eg looking (massive subject), footwork, body position etc.) plus psychological factors such as commitment and control and so-on. Also, the system takes into account personal and equipment factors such as bike set-up. Anyhow – one early thing to tackle is for you to understand how this all works, and how you can see your own riding in that context.

What you’ll work on is how to draw-out just a few elements at a time to build up a rider’s core riding posture (for example). Then you’ll be thinking about progression – how to take that static position and make it dynamic – this is when you’ll be thinking about exactly how the energy moves around to best/smoothest effect.

As the course progresses you will be encouraged to start devising your own session-plans to teach particular techniques.

Then you’ve got all the rest of it, to do with thinking about your rider’s level, caring for them and loads more besides. It will be quite a full two days.

I know you yourself ride to a high standard, but it would surprise me if getting into the system didn’t make you re-visit some elements of your own riding.

jedi

i constantly try to evolve my riding so know what you mean.

glenp
    Free Member

Woodsman. Have a word with Ian Warby to find out when the next one down here is.

Or, give Richard at allbikedup.com a call or email. He’ll be able to fill you in.

If you’re close-by why not come down for a skills session? You’ll get an introduction to the system and more out of your riding.

Aidan
    Free Member

Hey Jedi,

It’s been ages since I last saw you – not been riding any shore in the past couple of years but it was fun to see your patch way back.

I’m just about to go do the CTC Trail Leader course this weekend, and I’m planning to do the skills in September, so I might see you there.

When you say National Standards, do you mean the road-safety course, Bikeability? If you do, I can give you a bunch of contacts in Herts/N London.

jedi

yes mate. im down for bikeability in sept with hazel from herts council

Aidan
    Free Member

Bikeability is what I do now, and I plan to end up doing a mix of that (regular money since TFL have lots to dish out) and MTB skills/guiding. Feel free to email me if you want some names/numbers/opinions on who to work for in Bikeability.

jedi

yeah man
    tony1jedi at gmail.com

Trekster

Next week i will be adding some NHS stuff to my current portfolio.

Just wish redundancy would come along, we seem to be drifting atm…

Most of what I do is voluntary but reckon next year there could be more work available, just need the time to do it but it would`nt pay me what I currently earn unfortunately.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘mtb leader’ is closed to new replies.