Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • MTB insurance for riding abroad – anyone had to claim and got stories?
  • timnwild

Looking to get some insurance but want to hear from anyone who’s actually been unlucky enough to need it – did it work out well (helicopter ride to private clinic, foxy nurses, top-notch painkillers and cable tv) or badly? (donkey ride to to the vets, a leather strap to bite down on, leg off with a rusty scythe)

Thanks

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Easy Jet

I made the stupid mistake of trying to save them money by making my own way to (Spanish NHS) A&E, then giving them my E112.

Apparently the way to do it is to go to the private clinic next door, where the prettier nurses don’t call the insurers untill you’re under the anasthetic, it would have saved me almost 3 weeks of pain and the rather worried looks of the Engish docs when they asked me how long ago I’d broken it!

So on the one hand it turned out OK, on the other I’d rather they’d opted to either fix it there and then, or flown me home to fix it before christmas, rather than waiting a week formy scheduled flight then the surgeons being away for their christmas break meaning I was eating cristmass dinner one handed.

jimw
    Free Member

I have an annual policy with Direct Line. For £34 I upgraded to mountain biking for a trip to the alps( would have been a bit less if I hadn’t also got mild asthma apparently!). I broke my collarbone and incurred 350 Euros in doctors fees, drugs and sling. Didn’t need evacuating etc. but would have been covered ( I checked in advance). Paid up with no problems minus a £40 excess. Didn’t even load following two years premiums as it had apparently healed

Only downside is that as I had eventually to have an operation as a result 2 1/2 years later, and I am still receiving physio and not discharged from consultant, premium is now 60% more expensive for next year

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘MTB insurance for riding abroad – anyone had to claim and got stories?’ is closed to new replies.