Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • MTB in/near Johannesburg?
  • Bream
    Free Member

Heading to Johannesburg next week with work, so as always when I travel I’m looking to get out and ride if possible. Never been to SA before so just wondered if anyone on here has any contacts or tips, can I get a local ride in etc?

TIA

richardk
    Free Member

I rode here a couple of years ago. For a city based bike park in a small space, it was a really good morning out. The rental bikes are OK (29er hardtails), and the service is good. Bikes have flat pedals, and you can rent a helmet, so no need to wear your special bike shoes on the plane…

Looks like they’ve expanded the type of trials since I was there, with a lot more pump track & wooden boards.

nickjb
    Free Member

We did a great ride with a guide in Kruger National Park. Not especially close to Jo’burg but not that far if you fancy something a bit different. Absolutely stunning scenery and a bit of wildlife tracking. Wasn’t the most technical of terrain but when the guide found out we were actually bikers rather than the usual tourists he took out he then took us on a much longer ride and we ended up coming back after dark. Really great ride. https://www.sanparks.org/parks/kruger/camps/olifants/tourism/activities/biking/

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    vmgscot

BKXC (Youtuber) is over riding in SA just now and posted some great trail videos every 2/3 days so might be worth a look. Unsure where he is just now so maybe wrong end of the country.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Not especially close to Jo’burg but not that far

I know Africa is a big continent, but for reference, it’s like someone asking where to ride near Cardiff, and going “Glentress is good, and not that far”.

It’s been ages since I lived in Joburg, and while there are urban routes, I would stick to the park type setup if you don’t have someone showing you around. Safety first and all that.

There is also Thaba Trails: https://www.facebook.com/thabatrails/

And https://www.bikehub.co.za is the cycling forum.

nickjb
    Free Member

I know Africa is a big continent, but for reference, it’s like someone asking where to ride near Cardiff, and going “Glentress is good, and not that far”.

If its a one off trip I’d say you are better off making the effort to go a little further and do something epic than pootle round the local park dodging knife wielding locals. That’s what I’d do, take an extra day or three and make a trip of it, so that’s why I suggested it.

richardk
    Free Member

🙂

The only thing the locals were wielding was tyre levers and tubes. The whole park is fenced securely – I even ran there and back from the hotel as i didn’t have transport but I’m not sure I’d recommend that for everyone…

Bream
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies, the PcW park looks a bit too corporate for my liking. JMBC have some great download maps on their site that look spot on, but I need a bike hire also! I’ve been given a tip for Hunter Cycles in Melville, so I’ll see what they say.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Good restaurants in Melville. Eating out is one of the great things about Joburg in my opinion.

Just make sure you have a chat with the hire place about staying safe if you are thinking about following the GPS routes on your own. You don’t want to end up in the wrong place. Also, the standard of driving over there is shocking if you are on the roads. Have your wits about you.

Also, it will be hot and dusty at this time of year, and you are at 1700m above sea level. So scale your efforts accordingly. Violent thunderstorms are not uncommon in the afternoons – short, but very intense.

hofnar
    Free Member

a definite +1 for this forum And https://www.bikehub.co.za is the cycling forum.

I used to live in South africa temporarily and visited many times but I tend to avoid Johannesburg if I can so can’t help much.

Bream
    Free Member

Thanks, placed a help thread on the bikehub forum and e-mailed a few shops.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘MTB in/near Johannesburg?’ is closed to new replies.