Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • MTB in Cornwall
  • Carlos45
    Free Member

Am off on hols to St Austell in Cornwall early August and am keen to see if there are any good singletrack trails in the area. Having done a little research i hear that there may be some (legal?) trails in

Bishops Woods / Huysten Woods near Wadebridge
    Cardinham Woods near Bodmin
    Kings Woods near Pentewen

Any guidance on the above would be appreciated

Thanks

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Hustyn woods is good fun and fine for MTBing but also check out Dunmere nearby – more fun than Cardinham although access is a little bit shaky.

Also check further West in Poldice Valley/Bissoe for some cracking MTBing around disused mines.

Not sure about Kings woods!

neilb67
    Free Member

Kings Woods have some very flat wide trails but nothing exciting really. More family trails really. Theres a cycle trail from Heligan Gardens down into Mevagissy.

Bernaard
    Free Member

Anything around Newquay/Watergate bay? Have found some cheeky stuff via google earth, but is there anything else?

Carlos45
    Free Member

Thanks for the posts so far.

Poldice maybe a little too far but will get the map out and see.

Re Huysten woods. Are the trails easy to find. Always enjoy a little exploration but any pointers would be appreciated.

Re kings woods – I only mentioned this as it was included in a recent outing for one of the Cornish mtb clubs – the nae eludes me now – but I recall reference to singletrack.

Haven't heard anything aboutvstuff near newquay – but would be interested to hear how google earth was used.

Thanks

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

For Hustyn Woods – ride the Camel trail towards Bodmin from Wadebridge. When you get to a large road bridge on your right with steps, go up them, cross the bridge and turn right – this puts you at the edge of the woods.

Newquay area is limited TBH.

ltheisinger
    Free Member

Try these guys…..

Cornwall Freeriders Facebook

or here….

Cornwall Freeriders

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

is this the same carlos45 from kiteboarder.co.uk? if so the mako 150 is going well! : )

i don't know the st austell area, i do know that newquay is pretty bland, i can email you the mbr killer loop for chacewater and i have another tracklog route from max mountainbike for the same area and one for perranporth.

also have a look here:

cornwall bridleways

prob too far away, but for the far west email me (and apologies to the guys from a similar thread a while back who i still hav'nt gotten back to with far west routes. i will, promise!).

neilb67
    Free Member

😆

No probs…

Carlos45
    Free Member

Just realised that Bissoe is a lot closer than I thought it was. Are there any pointers for this area.

Thanks

Gav – its not me from kiteboarder.co.uk – mbr killer loop for chacewater would be appreciated – ta

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Go to Bissoe and look for the Cafe/Bike shop in the car park (can't miss it). Ride towards Portreath (signposted) and after about 3 miles (bit of track, bit of road, then more track) hang a left for acres and acres of disused open cast mines which are superb for cycling. If you just fancy a fast ride, carry on to Portreath – a pleasant village with a nice beach. About 12ish miles from Bissoe.

A mate of mine runs Revolve Bicycle Works that hires and sorts bikes and based in Devoran slightly further back from Bissoe – if you need any pointers or bike stuff, he's the man.

If you like mad jumps, look for "The Track" near Portreath – a BMX/MTB centre.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘MTB in Cornwall’ is closed to new replies.