Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • MTB in Canary islands
  • chetan
    Free Member

I’m planning to go to the Canary Island in Jan for a weekend and I wanted to know if anyone knows about and routes on any of the islands?
    There are plenty of tour companies advertising adventure holidays but I don’t really want to pay and go on a guided tour. I want to explore on my own

trailmonkey

i’ve done lot’s of riding in fuerteventura. just get out into the interior and make it up as you go along.

highclimber
    Free Member

I’m planning to go to the Canary Island

never knew there was just one Canary Island!

There is a guy on here who owns a guiding company on Lanzarote. Have a search in the forums for the thread using Lanzarote as a keyword maybe.

Sandwich

Darran @ lavatrax is a very good as a guide on Tenerife. May be a good idea to use a guide if you’re going anywhere near a national park to avoid problems with the rangers. He doesn’t provide route info for going alone. The local cycle hire may help with that though.

donsimon
    Free Member

i’ve done lot’s of riding in fuerteventura. just get out into the interior and make it up as you go along.

This, you can ride pretty much where you want as long as you’re sensible and you’re not really ever going to get lost there, are you?

mrmo
    Free Member

i have ridden the mtb on Fuerte and the road bike on Gran Canaria, yes there is mtb on fuerte but don’t expect technical woodland singletrack, just lots of rocks.

hammyuk
    Free Member

If you’re going to Tenerife then Valle San Lorenzo, up to La Caldera (the cauldron), Teide and the volcanic basin itself are all well known areas.
    As for the poster above – bollocks (no offence) – Gran Canaria has miles of forestry and the North and south west side of Tenerife is almost all pine forests above 1500mts with hundreds of forestry tracks and gradients that make racers blanche! They run world local, spanish and world class comps there every year.
    There are english and german tours that will take you out with their kit/guides in aircon minibuses or get a car, a map and have a look yourself.
    I lived there for 12yrs so I’m speaking from local knowledge not holiday brochures.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

iDave
    Free Member

Absolutely fantastic riding in the interior of Gran Canaria if you don’t mind long climbs

mrmo
    Free Member

hammy, i was talking about Fuerte not Gran Canaria, (which if you stay on the south side seems similar to Fuerte from riding on the road, but the interior and north is different and does have some trees.)

hammyuk
    Free Member

My bad mrmo – missed the roadbike part

chetan
    Free Member

@hammyuk, thanks, sounds like some good specific advice on areas which is what I needed

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘MTB in Canary islands’ is closed to new replies.