Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • MTB holiday suggestions.
  • Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Okay so every summer for the last 6 years we have gone DHing in Morzine however we have just (a week ago) come back from MTBing in Morocco with cycleactive which was awesome and the best holiday I have EVER had. Now I’m thinking I want to start MTBing in other places rather than Morzine every year (despite how much I love it there).

So what suggestions do you have? I also quite enjoyed the package holiday only having to worry about beer money.

I was thinking about the usual Whistler, Moab however I keep thinking do you need a package/guided holiday? Aren’t the trails easy to find? What other countries have you been MTBing to? What other companies have you used that you can recommend? It doesn’t necessarily have to be pure DHing, in Morocco we did 3500m climbing bu 7500 of downhilling and I do enjoy some climbing (just tends to have DH bias).

I’m getting my brain thinking for next year..I live for my MTB holidays! Come on furnish me with something to get excited about ……

snaps
    Free Member

Zermatt in Switzerland was superb last year, Chris who organised the trip has now set up his own company out there http://www.trail-hunters.com
    Pics here http://s393.photobucket.com/albums/pp14/zermatt08/
    We rode over 170 miles in the week we were there & only saw a handfull of MTBers

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

The website doesn’t really tell you much! What time of year did you go, lots of snow? Looks quite cool from the limited info on his website, I’ll send him an e-mail. How much was it?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mrsflash
    Free Member
    snaps
    Free Member

It cost us about £350 each all in! but I think he is charging £420
    We went first week in Oct, snow was only on the top of two mountains – as you can see in the pics it was plenty warm enough to ride in shorts & eat alfresco every day, bit nippy at night mind.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Come to the Big Bike Bash and you can win a holiday from Exodus

Tracey

Bike Verbier, I’ve been for the last 5 years and can’t get enough of it

Tracey

jedi

if i had the money i would ride with johnny smoke every year of my life

http://www.bushpilotbiking.com

uplink
    Free Member

I’ll have to go back to the Alps one year
    3 years in a row we had a full week of rain when we were there so ended up going to Spain for a few years & then this year we’re off to Colorado

Kitz_Chris
    Free Member

Hi Munque-Chick, You should have a look at Mountain Edge
    We’re based in Kitzbuhel, Austria and I think its the best riding in the world (Haven ridden Morzine, Morocco, Moab and Whistler amongst other places)
    5 Gondolas in the area accessing amazing XC singletrack, and Leogang bikepark is only 20 minutes around the corner if you want to ride man made DH trails and freeridey stuff.
    the snow has mostly melted already and the weather stays good til early November normally, so the season is pretty long.

Send me an email if you have any questions

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I spoke to someone else who said they’d had bad weather in the Alps, in the 6 years we have been last year was the worst with 4 days of horrific rain every other year has been awesome.
    oh austria or switzerland look cool, I shall take a look.

Where/when is the BBBAsh then? I have vague memories of looking a while back and I couldn’t make it! which trip can you win with Exodus!?

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Uplink, where in Spain and Colorado did you go? were they on tours? Spain appeals too ..

uplink
    Free Member

Spain we went with Sierra & Joyriders – both great outfits with good accommodation etc. we thought Joyriders edged it though
    There’s loads of companies in Spain just make sure that they suit your riding style some are XC, some techy freeride stuff

Colorado is 3 weeks away but we’re going independent

We also went to Greece with Epicmtb which I really liked & would go back but I think they’ve packed up now

trailhunter
    Free Member

Hi Munqe-chick

We got some great deals for this summer. Web site is a bit limited at the moment, however there will be more on there soon. Everyone seems to miss the tab under Trail Hunters in the top left. I’ve started doing these trips as I too was bored with Morzine, as good as it is. I’ve got about 100 routes mapped out in the valley, all downhill and super long. In my view it’s in a different league to Morzine/Les Gets. I can do packages including transfers, accomadation, food etc etc. Everything you’ll need.

We ride in

Zermatt
    Bellwald
    Feisch
    Crans-Montana
    Leysin
    St Luc
    Zinal
    Verbier
    Pila etc etc

If you want anymore details let me know by private message at trailhunters@googlemail.com

Regards

crazy-legs

MC: personal recommendations from me for
    Freeride Spain they’re based in the Alpujarras in Southern Spain, will pretty much cater for whatever you want.
    A Quick Release in the Pyrenees (Luchon). Fantastic place, loads of great biking and the food is amazing.
    And another shout for Bike Verbier as Tracey mentioned ^^

doug_basqueMTB.com

Hi Munge-chick. We’re a new holiday company set up in San Sebastian which is a new part of the world for mountain bike holidays. It’s in the Basque Country in the north of Spain. We ride up and down hills but with a good vertical headstart thrown in at the start of the day! Have a look at my flickr for some idea of the trails. There’s not many people that have been with us yet but in a couple of months there should hopefully be some feedback from guests! Give’s a shout if you want more info…

photies

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Cheers for that Doug I’ll have a look fancy Spain. Do you have a website? If not could you e-mail me more info franwhyte AT hotmail DOT com cheers

GeForceJunky
    doug_basqueMTB.com

Hi Munge-chick. The website is USit’s a bit out of date because I’ve been waiting for a new “all singing all dancing” one for a few months now. My mail is in my profile or on the website so give me a mail once you’ve had a look and I can give you more info on the riding here or anything else you’re interested in.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

I’m pretty lucky in that I’ve biked in a number of great places.

Sometimes you don’t need a guide, sometimes it’s good if you have one, and sometimes you definitely need one.

Fruita and Moab won’t require a guide as the guidebooks are good and accessible, although take what they say with a pinch of salt. I expected Porcupine Rim to be desperate after reading the guide, but it’s not. We did a US roadtrip with a bit of online planning and had a fantastic time. Talk to the locals you meet and ask what’s hot and what’s not. Trails change with time, but we’re going back this October. The best approach is fly to Denver, and hire a vehicle and hit the road.

Whistler is fantastic, and although a guide is not essential, as the trails are really well mapped, you’ll get a lot more from the riding with a guide. We’ve been with Bearback twice, and are going again this summer. They are excellent, and tailor the riding to your ability and style. I cannot recommend Bearback enough.

Last summer we did a roadtrip through BC, combined with 5 week ‘house-swap’ in BC. I planned online, and spoke to all the riders I met. We hooked up with people we met on the trails and ended up invited to Vancouver to ride the North Shore. Wow. We also went to Nelson, Golden, Revelstoke, Rossland and a load of other places. We did have the luxury of time, and Canadians are really friendly. One word. GO.

Les Arcs and Verbier are absolutely fantastic if you like steep mountain singletrack. IMO you need a guide to get the best out of it, especially your first time there. Bike Verbier and Trail Addiction were great. I’ll be going back for certain.

Don’t go to Chamonix in July or August – MTBing is outlawed on almost all trails (and all the decent ones). The IGN maps will show all the trails. I’d risk it without a guide and invest in an IGN map. What’s the worst that could happen? But seriously, it’s a waste of time in July/August.

There are loads of places opening up for bikers in the Alps, but where you go and what you do depends on what you want to ride, as different places offer different styles of riding. I’ve had my fill of Morzine/Les Gets as IME many of the trails are over-ridden, and suffer from ‘big-bike fatigue’. If you like M/LG, then the other Alpine places mentioned above will blow your mind…

Have fun.

hh45
    Free Member

there is no shortage of great holiday companies – mainly run by really nice, hard working, knowleadeable, dedicated people looking for a lifestyle away from the grind of commuting, offices, office politics and so on. I can personally recommend in no particular order, Trail Addiction (Les Arcs), Bike Verbier, Toro Loco (S Spain), Freeride Sppain (also S Spain), Pyractif (Pyranees).

There are loads of others that look great that I haven’t been to – Cycleactive, KE Adventure and Saddle Skedaddle all run loads of great looking trips to E Europe, Morocco, Asia, New Zealand and so on. I have also ridden in Central Asia and Latin America but consider that is more cultural than great riding.

What there isn’t is enough time and money.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

And I forgot about Switchbacks in Spain. Another fantastic riding holiday.

DrDolittle
    Free Member

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

HH45 The cycleactive trip to Morocco is awesome, that’s the one I’ve just come back and done.
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/mtbing-in-morocco-youve-got-to-go

That was the first time I’d gone on an organised tour and it was awesome, which is why I wanted recommendations of other good tour companies, otherwise if I booked something that was rubbish I would be gutted.

Troutwrestler, I’m also getting to the point of being a bit tired of Morinze/Les Gets,every year for the last 6, we are going this June to do P du S which should be good, but want to go somewhere new and exciting. Was tempted with the cycleactive trip to Vietnam .. although that would mean my one holiday of the year. Will have to get looking at all the companies mentioned. Cheers guys!

Gooner
    Free Member

have a look at this company;

http://www.ridebig.com/

i went to costa rica with them in february (guided by wade simmons) and it was awesome – natural trails, well organisen etc and i am looking at their switzerland trip for next year

they are nt cheap but they are excellent

simonb
    Free Member

How about a British Columbia singletrack holiday with Saddle Skedaddle/Sacred Rides? They are the same trip. Did this last year and throughly enjoyed it. Lots of variety in riding and lots of singletrack! Top accomodation and food too and was well organised with a Canadian guide from Sacred and British Guide from Skedaddle.

Check out:

Saddle Skeddadle

Sacred Rides

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Whistler, Moab however I keep thinking do you need a package/guided holiday? Aren’t the trails easy to find?

Moab couldn’t be easier to ride. We just booked hire bikes in advance, rocked up and found a cabin on Moab RV park ($50 a night, sleeps 4, aircon, BBQ, TV) then went to pick the bikes up. The Poison Spider guys spent 1/2 hr setting them up for us, told us whatever we wanted to know about the riding. Some of the trails are ‘out and back’ on the same trail, but don’t let that put you off.
    We only hired bikes for 2 days and just did Slickrock and Porcupine Rim. I’m plotting on going back next year if I can afford it, maybe to Crested Butte or Grand Junction, but I’ll go back to Moab as well. It’s a lovely, freindly place. Some great coffee bars, locals very nice.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Maybe Moab is worth going then going MTBing somewhere else?? Oh I love my holidays and planning for the next one .. gets me excited!

johni
    Free Member

Another vote for http://www.switch-backs.com from me. I’ve been at least 5 times and always had a cracking time.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘MTB holiday suggestions.’ is closed to new replies.